wsxkwu
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Quit Debug in Linux "GDB: Failed to set..."

Post by wsxkwu »

Every time I run Quit Debug, the following message appears
&"warning: GDB: Failed to set controlling terminal: Operation not permitted\n"

What is more annoying and intolerant to me is that it delays seconds before CodeLite actually starts debugging. Time is precious, and this delay is really truly repulsive, especially when the user needs to iteratively Quick Debug. If my memory serves me right, older version of CodeLite has no such annoying problem, because it didn't use external terminal when doing Quit Debug, instead it used the built-in (text?) control to emulate the terminal, which is a better design in my opinion. Probably after version 4, CodeLite started to use external terminal. It would be nice if there are options for users to choose which terminal they like when Quick Debug, or maybe just restore to the old way.

BTW, I believe I'm not the only person who encounters this problem, there are many people asking the same question, but the solutions are many and usually don't fit to a specific Linux distro.
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Re: Quit Debug in Linux "GDB: Failed to set..."

Post by DavidGH »

Hi,
...the following message appears: "warning: GDB: Failed to set controlling terminal: Operation not permitted"
What is more annoying and intolerant to me is that it delays seconds before CodeLite actually starts debugging
gdb startup does tend to be slow, but I don't think that message, or the code that causes it, is contributing to the delay.
I believe I'm not the only person who encounters this problem
Indeed you're not! It affects any Linux user (I'm not sure about other platforms) using gdb in CL, and in other IDEs e.g. Code::Blocks that do the same thing internally.
For the best explanation of the cause that I've found, see this link.
It would be nice if there are options for users to choose which terminal they like when Quick Debug, or maybe just restore to the old way.
I personally preferred the old way too, but iirc it worked badly on OSX.

Regards,

David
wsxkwu
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: Quit Debug in Linux "GDB: Failed to set..."

Post by wsxkwu »

Thanks, David. You're right. I used command `time ( echo start | gdb ./a.out; )` to test the speed and the result suggests that the lagging time approximately equals to the time when using Quick Debug in CodeLite. Apparently, the lagging has nothing to do with CodeLite.

Regards,
wsxkwu.