CodeLite won't display functions in outline tab

CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
KEhrhardt
CodeLite Enthusiast

CodeLite won't display functions in outline tab

Post by KEhrhardt »

I recently upgraded Codelite from 3034 to 3681. My project builds fine, however Codelight wont display the functions, prototypes and macros for any of the files in the project in the outline tab of the workspace view. :cry: I have retagged the project multiple times. Tried retagging from the Workspace drop down (Retag full), and the dialog comes up and it is processing the files. Still doesn't work. Tried retagging the project only. Doesn't work. Tried retagging an individual file. Doesn't work. I added a path to the include files using Settings->Tag Settings->Include Files. Doesn't work. Tried "Retag workspace on workspace startup". Nope. Set "Mark files and dirs in file explorer that contribute tags is bold", and all the .c and .h files in my project show up in bold. So I think the tagging is getting done, but Codelight is not processing this tagged information properly.

When I installed 3681, I did not remove 3034, since I wanted to maintain my workspace/build settings. I have done this before with earlier upgrades of Codelight without issue. Could this be causing the problem? I could do a 'clean install' but how do I retain my workspace/build settings? I did backup the codelight config directory prior to the upgrade.

Thanks
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: CodeLite won't display functions in outline tab

Post by eranif »

What you are missing is the 'Symbol View' plugin. It was removed when codelite moved to version 2.0

This was because the author of that plugin did not upgrade it to the new infrastructure of codelite.

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
KEhrhardt
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by KEhrhardt »

eranif wrote:What you are missing is the 'Symbol View' plugin. It was removed when codelite moved to version 2.0

This was because the author of that plugin did not upgrade it to the new infrastructure of codelite.

Eran
So is there a new plugin or is this functionality currently not supported in CodeLite 2.0?

Also, one of my other projects in the workspace seems to display functions and variables correctly?

I did not know that this functionality was a plugin, I thought it was native to Codelite.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

I think that it is better if you post here 2 screenshots:
1) of what u had in codelite 3034
2) what you currently have

Eran
KEhrhardt
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by KEhrhardt »

Ok,
Attached are two files, funcs.jpg and nofuncs.jpg. They are both from version 3681. Same file, two different projects. One project seems to display functions/variables/macros, the other does not. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

OK. My mistake, this tab is part of the core IDE and not a plugin, I thought you meant the SymbolView.

Some questions:
- Is this fie part of the workspace?
- What happen when u click 'Ctrl-Shift-O' ?
- If it is part of the workspace, I suggest that you remove the project path from the tags settings -> include settings, and try a full retag (from the menu: workspace -> retag workspace (full))

Once the tagging is completed, paste here the output of the 'Trace' tab

Eran
KEhrhardt
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by KEhrhardt »

eranif wrote:
Some questions:
- Is this fie part of the workspace?
- What happen when u click 'Ctrl-Shift-O' ?
- If it is part of the workspace, I suggest that you remove the project path from the tags settings -> include settings, and try a full retag (from the menu: workspace -> retag workspace (full))

Once the tagging is completed, paste here the output of the 'Trace' tab

Eran
1) Yes it is part of the workspace.
2) Ctrl-Shift-O: See attached file
3) After retag workspace (full) - same problem
4) Trace tab: See attached file

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KEhrhardt
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by KEhrhardt »

One other thing I would point out. The project that works has the gcc toolchain selected.
The project that doesn't work uses a custom build step to invoke the compiler (Green Hills).
In fact, I tried all the projects I have that use this custom build (Green Hills) and they no longer work (can't display functions/variables/macros).

So does the new "tag crawling" algorithm depend on anything specified in the project file like the toolchain?

I tried changing the complier to gcc and disabling the custom build, but no joy. This is certainly frustrating. :?
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

I am sorry, my brain was probably sleeping while you posted your first post :)

CodeLite does not keep the same symbols twice in the symbols database.

So, if the files are identical (even when they are located under different paths), then codelite will only save each symbol once.

I find it strange that you say it worked for you in previous versions of codelite

Eran
KEhrhardt
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by KEhrhardt »

Well I worked around the problem by deleting the old project and creating a new project in the workspace. Now she works. :D Something must have been messed up in the .project file?