Issues with parsing workspace

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
grahamh
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: php

Issues with parsing workspace

Post by grahamh »

Just discovered CodeLite and it does look nice to a refugee from netbeans.

Using v13.0.0 on Win10x64 I loaded an existing C++ source tree into Workspace and into Explorer (don't understand the difference).

If I right-clicked in the editor and went 'Go to declaration' or 'Open include file', etc, nothing happened.
So I used Workspace->Parse workspace (which took about 45 minutes). But still nothing happens.

But now we seem to be running Parsing workspace again. After 35 minutes it says 5% completed

I see files project-user.tags* are increasing in size, now up to about 10MB. Surely something's wrong, here? For reference a standard ctags tags file for the same source tree is 2.3MB. Is that tags file being parsed as well?

Update: after 2 hours, aborted by killing Codelite. At this point, progress is 12% and the .codelite directory reads:

Code: Select all

drwxr-xr-x  3 osmc osmc     4096 Jul 18 19:06 .
drwxr-xr-x 17 osmc osmc     4096 Jul 18 19:25 ..
-rwxr-xr-x  1 osmc osmc 27930624 Jul 18 21:45 kodipatched-graham.tags
-rwxr-xr-x  1 osmc osmc   131072 Jul 18 20:41 kodipatched-graham.tags-shm
-rwxr-xr-x  1 osmc osmc 15596368 Jul 18 21:45 kodipatched-graham.tags-wal
-rw-r--r--  1 osmc osmc      500 Jul 18 21:41 kodipatched.session
grahamh
CodeLite Curious

Re: Issues with parsing workspace

Post by grahamh »

OK so after nearly 24 hours, parsing workspace finally 'finished', but only 3930 files seem to have been scanned, out of 4146 c, cpp and h files in the source tree. There are thus still a number of symbols missing from the (82MB) tags database.

Finding the tags that are there seems pretty snappy :)

In an attempt to find the missing files/tags, I hit Parse workspace again and I got a frozen CodeLite (Not Responding) for 22 minutes.

So can I ask if there's any way to speed up this parsing? My source tree is on a NAS. Is there maybe a way to keep the project files on the machine running CodeLite so the DB is on a local SSD? I couldn't find that in settings.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Post by eranif »

Usually, parsing a workspace is matter of seconds - minutes (2-3)
For example, scanning CodeLite workspace should take about ~30 seconds on a standard computer and the generated tags database should be roughly around 150MB
Note that the 'tags' database is *NOT* a ctags file (the name sounds similar, but its definitely not the same thing)
You might want to check the ~/.codelite/codelite.log file or %appdata%/CodeLite/codelite.log file to see why it takes so long to parse
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
grahamh
CodeLite Curious

Post by grahamh »

Thanks for the info. I tried it with the code source on a USB stick instead of on the NAS and indeed it was quick. Are you saying it should parse quickly, even if the project is not on the machine running CodeLite?
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Post by eranif »

You should have started with the fact that your project is located on a NAS.
SQLITE (the underlying storage that stores the symbols for caching) does not work well with NAS (or any network storage)
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread