Cannot select lldb as debugger (Codelite 7)

CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
teknogrebo
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: c++

Cannot select lldb as debugger (Codelite 7)

Post by teknogrebo »

Hi, I've recently returned to linux dev from a years absence. Previously I was using Codelite 5 and everything was working pretty much as well as could be expected. I've upgraded to v7 being as I figured it would have a years worth of fixes in, and now I cannot select lldb as the debugger, the option just isn't there. The dropdown in settings->general just has gdb and no other. I'm guessing support hasn't been removed as I've seen reports of features not working correctly in lldb with v7. I've tried reinstalling codelite, lldb and lots of other things all to no avail. I'm getting the version from repos.codelite.org - I presume that's correct. I tried installing codelite-plugins as well, as the description of lldb described it as a plugin, but that un-installed codelite - I'm not sure what the plugins package is supposed to be...

If anyone could help then that would be great :)
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Re: Cannot select lldb as debugger (Codelite 7)

Post by eranif »

teknogrebo wrote:I tried installing codelite-plugins as well, as the description of lldb described it as a plugin, but that un-installed codelite - I'm not sure what the plugins package is supposed to be...
Don't install this package ("codelite-plugins") as its not part of the codelite that we provide.
If you don't get the option to load LLDBDebugger, than it simply means that the this plugin was not loaded.

Check that the plugin is installed, under /usr/lib/x86_64-gnu-linux/codelite/LLDBDebugger.so
If it does present, check codelite log files:
~/.codelite/codelite.log and ~/.codelite/codelite-stdout-stderr.log and search for interesting error messages ("undefined symbol" etc)

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
teknogrebo
CodeLite Curious

Post by teknogrebo »

Thanks for the response. I checked the log file and it was saying that it couldn't find liblldb.so. Sure enough it didn't exist on my system but I had a liblldb.so.1, so I just created a softlink to it, and it seems to be working (other than the fact that I had to uninstall lldb-3.5 and install lldb-3.4 for some reason!)

Thanks for the help! :)

[Edit] Having just finished that post I tried to set a breakpoint and they just vanish when I start debugging. Any ideas?
petah
CodeLite Expert

Post by petah »

teknogrebo wrote:Having just finished that post I tried to set a breakpoint and they just vanish when I start debugging. Any ideas?
This usually happens to me inside headers (or cpp files included like headers) especially with templates whose instantiation point(s) may refer to multiple locations. I haven't found a way around this yet. Do you have breakpoints listed on line -1 in the CL/LLDBbreakpoints window?

cheers,

-- p
main: Debian Jessie x64 + custom wxTrunk
teknogrebo
CodeLite Curious

Post by teknogrebo »

Thanks Petah,

Your post reminded me of an issue that we had with XCode when starting out on Mac. We use Unity files a lot in our projects (cpp files included like headers), and we had to set lldb to allow inline breakpoints. The way to do this is to run the following command in a shell.

echo "settings set target.inline-breakpoint-strategy always" > ~/.lldbinit

I hope that helps for you as well :)
petah
CodeLite Expert

Post by petah »

cool thx!

-- p
main: Debian Jessie x64 + custom wxTrunk