FWIW: Ubuntu Precise version on repo appears broken?

CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
pirlite2
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

FWIW: Ubuntu Precise version on repo appears broken?

Post by pirlite2 »

FWIW, the repo version for Ubuntu Precise now appears to be broken - I guess because of subsequent updates to the OS. It installs OK but does not start. From the command line, no sign of missing dependencies or anything - it just fails silently. Even 'codelite --version' fails although 'codelite --help' does print a list of options. :(

I raise this because a lot of people are still on Precise and elsewhere on this forum, a maintainer stated that Precise is no longer being supported with the latest version. Added to that, the thread Help->HOWTO: Building codelite from sources (Ubuntu) appears out-of-date as, AFAIU, codelite has moved to git and the pull instructions presumably no longer work. (It would be nice if this (locked) 'Building codelite from sources (Ubuntu)' thread from 2010 was updated and moved to the permanent announcements at the top of the board for easy access/visibility :)

P.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: FWIW: Ubuntu Precise version on repo appears broken?

Post by eranif »

pirlite2 wrote: Added to that, the thread Help->HOWTO: Building codelite from sources (Ubuntu) appears out-of-date as
The best place to search for build instructions will be the wiki and not on the forum. I also fixed that thread to point to the wiki instructions

On the main page of the wiki (or any page of the wiki): http://wiki.codelite.org the build instructions are on the left side bar.

To be more precise ;)
http://codelite.org/Developers/Linux

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
pirlite2
CodeLite Curious

Post by pirlite2 »

eranif wrote:The best place to search for build instructions will be the wiki and not on the forum. I also fixed that thread to point to the wiki instructions
Thanks. That's much better. In fact the build process has changed quite a lot!

P.
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Post by DavidGH »

Hi,
FWIW, the repo version for Ubuntu Precise now appears to be broken - I guess because of subsequent updates to the OS. It installs OK but does not start. From the command line, no sign of missing dependencies or anything - it just fails silently. Even 'codelite --version' fails although 'codelite --help' does print a list of options. :(
I just did a full upgrade of my 'precise' 64-bit virtualbox guest, which was still on CodeLite 5.3. After updating the system 5.3 still ran OK, and so did 5.4 when I upgraded to that.

Did anything go wrong with your update? Does doing 'sudo apt-get install -f' help?
If not, you could try running
ldd `which codelite`
and look for missing libs.

Regards,

David