fixups
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Cannot clean/build anymore

Post by fixups »

Mac OS X 10.9.3
XCode 5.1.1 installed

I started my current version of CodeLite, which was 5.4, it prompted me to update and I said NO. I just wanted to test something quickly in an existing project. It's a C console project.

It warned me about the compiler being not found or something, offered to fix. I fixed it by selecting GCC. After that it did not complain.

Tried to clean my project. It would print
/bin/sh -c 'make -j8 -e -f "catest1.mk" clean'
then would stop there. All I could do is "Build > Stop build" (everything else was greyed out).
I cannot build the project either.

I also notice that when I try to open a terminal, just by using the Dock (CodeLite should not be involved), the terminal opens and displays an error message:
[forkpty: Device not configured]
[Unable to create a new process and to open a pseudo-tty.]

If I close CodeLite, I can open a terminal without any problem.

So I restarted CodeLite, and when offered I updated to 6.0.

Downloaded 6.0. Updated. From /Applications, I start CodeLite 6.0 (I have kept a copy of CodeLite 5.4 just in case).

I restart CodeLite. Exactly the same problem persists.

Can't clean, can't build, can't open a terminal.

What can I do to solve this problem?
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: Cannot clean/build anymore

Post by eranif »

what happens when you start codelite from a terminal?

Code: Select all

open codelite.app/ ?
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
fixups
CodeLite Curious

Post by fixups »

eranif wrote:what happens when you start codelite from a terminal?

Code: Select all

open codelite.app/ ?
Eran

I cannot open it from a terminal with the command line you have given, however I can open it with:

open /Applications/codelite.app

It opens normally (as far as I can tell), and in the first screen I can select my project. But I still have the same problems:
- I cannot clean the project
- I cannot build the project
- I cannot open a new terminal (I get the forkpty error)

All the problems I previously had are still there, exactly in the same way, so I don't repeat their descriptions.

In the terminal window from which I have launched codelite, there is no error message. I can close this terminal and it does not close CodeLite (which is normal I believe).
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

It works perfectly good for me (on OSX 10.8 and 10.9), so I am not sure what else can I do, other than googling...
http://apple.stackexchange.com/question ... -terminals
http://codybonney.com/increase-the-max- ... -x-10-8-3/

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
fixups
CodeLite Curious

Post by fixups »

eranif wrote:It works perfectly good for me (on OSX 10.8 and 10.9), so I am not sure what else can I do, other than googling...
http://apple.stackexchange.com/question ... -terminals
http://codybonney.com/increase-the-max- ... -x-10-8-3/

Eran

Thank you very much Eran. I owe you an apology: I should have googled this myself.

After following and reading your links I opened a terminal. Sure enough I found myself in ttty126, which means I had somehow managed to consume 125 terminal sessions. Naturally I could not open an additional one, and CodeLite was not even involved.

So when CodeLite tried to open a shell to execute the make command, the system refused and the make did not run.

After rebooting the Mac, CodeLite worked as expected.

Before the reboot I had an uptime of 8 days or so, which is not very high for a Mac. I have no idea how I managed to burn so many tty sessions, I do not open a lot of terminals, and anyway they are recycled by the system when you close them. I have been working with Xamarin Studio a lot lately and who knows, this may be the cause of the problem.

You may want to add a check in CodeLite for this specific case, or at least for the general case of the shell refusing to run. Surely it must be possible to catch this error?

I understand it's a corner case, but now it has been caught and it's not obvious to diagnose otherwise.

If you want me to reproduce the problem and test a version of CodeLite, I'll be glad to help.

Thank you again.