CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
Aniconic
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Allegro 5 integration

Post by Aniconic »

Hey there everyone,

I very recently made the switch from dev-C++ to codelite, and so far I really like it! My only concern, or confusion rather, is how I might go about installing and integrating the Allegro 5 game programming libraries? I suppose I was a little spoiled by Dev-C++'s devpacks as I was learning the language, and I have found little info on how I might include them in IDEs other then code::blocks and Visual Studio.

My codelite version is 5.4, and the version of the allegro library I am attempting to install is 5.0.10. I apologize in advance if this was posted in the wrong forum, I was unsure if I should post it in help forum or the Using Codelite forum.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Jarod42
CodeLite Expert

Re: Allegro 5 integration

Post by Jarod42 »

You have to complete compiler and linker settings in (Active) Project settings->Common settings.
Aniconic
CodeLite Curious

Post by Aniconic »

Ok, well thats kind of what I am asking about...

I have the binaries downloaded and extracted to my C drive, and there are 3 folders: bin, lib, and include.

I assume I am suppose to configure the compiler and linker settings as you have said, but the Tutorial doesn't specify how to do this properly.

I've spent hours combing forums for solutions on how to do this, and oddly enough I've come across several different approaches designed for other IDEs that use the same compiler, but none of them have worked for me so far.

Prior to codelite, I attempted using allegro with visual studio 2010, and was slightly successful because there are actual guides on how to install and link it properly. I didn't stick with it though, because some library functions flat out do not work on this IDE for some reason despite the extensive video tutorials.

Anyways, this will be my first attempt manually linking any library to anything, and I was hoping someone could offer some insight as to how to properly set up the compiler/linker settings in codelite.

Thanks.
Aniconic
CodeLite Curious

Post by Aniconic »

Sorry for the double post, but I think I figured it out, though I don't have time to test it further. In the meantime I'll write here the configuration options I went with.

Common Settings -> Compiler -> Include Paths: C:/allegro-5.0.10-mingw-4.7.0/include

Common Settings -> Linker -> Library Paths: C:/allegro-5.0.10-mingw-4.7.0/lib

Common Settings -> Linker -> Libraries: allegro-5.0.10-monolith-mt.dll

After I placed allegro-5.0.10-monolith-mt.dll in the project's directory, it built and ran just fine.

Thanks for the hint, I'll post again if I have any other issues.