CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
johndubchak
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Codelite Update for wx-2.9

Post by johndubchak »

Hi,

I use codelite on Ubuntu, originally adding the PPA repository according to the installation instructions. However, now with the update, you're asking me to potentially corrupt my Ubuntu installation by adding system-wide wx-2.9 binaries through, yet another, PPA or source.list addition. You have a great product, but the installation process is flawed, IMO.

Why, rather than going to the effort of producing 2.9 binaries that allow codelite to run on the system, you simply don't produce a single executable image that has everything statically bundled? We could download and install the updated single-image-binary and avoid the risk of system-wide collisions by adding the wx-2.9 development libraries.

Thanks,
John
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: Codelite Update for wx-2.9

Post by eranif »

However, now with the update, you're asking me to potentially corrupt my Ubuntu installation by adding system-wide wx-2.9 binaries through, yet another, PPA or source.list addition.
Where did you get this instructions from? which PPA? we don't use PPA we have our own repository
http://codelite.org/LiteEditor/Repositories#toc1
johndubchak wrote:I use codelite on Ubuntu, originally adding the PPA repository according to the installation instructions. However, now with the update, you're asking me to potentially corrupt my Ubuntu installation by adding system-wide wx-2.9 binaries through, yet another, PPA or source.list addition. You have a great product, but the installation process is flawed, IMO.
I am not sure which update you are talking about here, 5.2?

5.2 does not require you to install wx29 - codelite places those binaries under /usr/lib/codelite which are not in your PATH.
codelite is compiled with RPATH pointing to this directory so it can find them during runtime.

Building it with static linking of wxWidgets is simply impossible - it means that every shared library will have to link against wxWidgets this will make ecllipse installation size like a joke comparing to codelite's size (codelite has around 30 shared libraries - each will need to link against wxWidgets...)

And lets assume we can handle the size and we have super internet to download the 1GB installer... the code will not work
Since each shared object will have its own heap, this means that a C++ singleton will no longer be a singleton - each shared object will have its own copy (and other globals like wxTheApp etc)

I really would like to understand the problem, it will help if you can include some version numbers (like codelite version number, wxWidgets version number) etc.
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread