Problem defining a new accerator

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
Arbalest
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Problem defining a new accerator

Post by Arbalest »

I am using CodeLite 5.1 on Ubuntu 12.05.

I have tried 2 different ways to add an accelerator for Clean Project and both seem to be invoking some other action.

Method 1 - found the config file, checked that Shift-F7 was not in use, added it as the last parameter to Clean Build (as a analog to F7 for Build). Restarted the IDE, Settings > Keyboard Shortcuts... Defaults. No shortcut showed up in the menu for Clean Build.

Method 2) in the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog > Edit > selected Clean Build > added Shift-F7 > OK > OK.

Clean Build works from the menu. Shift-F7 just attempts to Build the project again.

Am I doing something wrong?
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Re: Problem defining a new accerator

Post by DavidGH »

Hi,

FWIW, method 2 with Sh-F7 works fine for me (debian wheezy, kde).

Which DE are you using? If it's something unusual, try a different one.

Also, check your DE's global shortcuts in case it pre-empts Sh-F7.

Regards,

David
Arbalest
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Arbalest »

Thanks. I was using Xfce and per your suggestion I just tried OpenBox but the results are the same.

I don't think it is the DE because SH-F7 causes a build, as if it were F7.

For what it's worth this is all running in a virtual machine under VMware Player (on an XP host), although I don't think that is a factor.
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Post by DavidGH »

I was using Xfce and per your suggestion I just tried OpenBox but the results are the same.
I tested on a xubuntu 12.04 virtualbox guest, and had the same problem. I then tried with xubuntu 13.04 and it worked as expected.

If you search the forum or the bug tracker for 'xfce' you'll find various reports of odd behaviour, not reproducible on gnome/kde/lxde. At least this one has apparently now been fixed. So one answer for you is to upgrade either your ubuntu or its xfce. If you don't want to do either, I suggest you try with lxde.
Arbalest
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Arbalest »

OK - I just tried LXDE and the problem persists.

I'll put this aside for now and upgrade the distro later - or change to a different one.

Thanks.
petah
CodeLite Expert
IDE Question: c++

Post by petah »

for some kb shortcuts I had to disable Gtk's built-in ones or they'll intercept CL's:

Code: Select all

echo "gtk-enable-mnemonics = 0" >> ~/.gtkrc-2.0
file name, location or contents may vary, so caveat emptor.

cheers,

-- p
main: Debian Jessie x64 + custom wxTrunk
Arbalest
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Arbalest »

Just a follow-up with another observation. It seems that generally the "Shift" part of my self-defined accelerator is being lost but ALSO the case for the pre-defined accelerators.

My definition of Shift-F7 was interpreted as F7 (build). No problem, I associated F6 with "Clean" and it works fine.

But now I noticed that Shift-F5 does not stop the debugger. Rather it "Continues" the debugger as if it was F5.

Armed with this I tried "stepping out" of a routine with Shift-F11 but what happened was just another regular "step". For the heck of it I tried Ctrl-Shift-F5 to "restart" the debugger and it worked.

The question is -- is there an environmental issue that could just be dropping/escaping the Shift key?
petah
CodeLite Expert

Post by petah »

shift-F11 works fine here. I use CL on Debian x32 and x64 with Xfce4 so must be a problem specific to your setup.

I'd check the WE's desktop shortcuts for any overrides, otherwise build & run ./wxWidgets/samples/keyboard to make sure it receives all your key combos.

cheers,

-- p
Arbalest
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Arbalest »

Hmmm... sounds like a good plan. However, I have only used CodeLite for console apps so far.

I just installed libwxgtk2.8-dev and libwxgtk2.8-dbg (latest stable?) and was able to create a new project (Executable - wxWidgets Enabled) and all that. But, I can't find the keyboard sample online or on the OS I just installed to. Is there something else that needs to be installed?
petah
CodeLite Expert

Post by petah »

download the wxWidgets source code and look in the samples subfolder. Don't know how to build those from binary wx libraries; I build mine from source (and no I wont walk you through that ;) )

cheers,

-- p