General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
Haunt
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: c++

Real Folder / Virtual Folder

Post by Haunt »

Hi everyone,

several years ago I used CodeLite a lot. Now I reinstalled it for a small (maybe big) project. But one thing still bothers me:
How do I create a REAL folder instead of a virtual folder with the IDE?!

I just don't like having all my source files in the same folder :D Especially when I have 40+ files and want to publish them (with an own Makefile etc...)

Is there an option to create real folders?

Regards from Germany,

Haunt

Edit:
CodeLite version: 3.5.5377
Last edited by Haunt on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Re: Real Folder / Virtual Folder

Post by eranif »

Haunt wrote:Is there a option to create real folders?
Not from within the IDE..

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
Haunt
CodeLite Curious

Post by Haunt »

Hi

thank you for your answer. Too bad :/ Is there a reason why this is not supported?
That means I have to create a folder manually and also create a virtual folder in CodeLite and import the files from within my real folder? :/
Seems like a bad solution to me.

Regards,

Haunt
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Haunt wrote:Is there a reason why this is not supported?
There was never really a need for this...
Haunt wrote:That means I have to create a folder manually
Yes
Haunt wrote:and also create a virtual folder in CodeLite and import the files from within my real folder? :/
You can right click on the project and select 'Import files from directory' - check all the folders that you want to import and let codelite do the work for you (it will copy the directory structure into a virtual folders)

This is how I do it when I want to import an existing project with the actual file system layout

Eran
Haunt
CodeLite Curious

Post by Haunt »

Ok, then I will try to do it this way. Hope it gets not too annoying because the project starts from scratch and there will be a lot of sub directories.

Regards,

Haunt
chisser98
CodeLite Curious

Post by chisser98 »

Hi guys,

I'm new to CodeLite, but I'm having issues with my imported files saving properly on my (Linux) filesystem.
You can right click on the project and select 'Import files from directory' - check all the folders that you want to import and let codelite do the work for you (it will copy the directory structure into a virtual folders)
I did 'Import files from directory' for a project I was already working on, but now when I make changes to a file from this project within CodeLite, this change isn't saved to the file on my filesystem! Is this because my imported files were 'copied' into some virtual folder? If so, is there any way to change this behaviour?

This is an issue, as I'm using an 'external tool' to run SCons instead of make (I hate autotools). It's also very bizzare functionality, as I really have no idea where my changes are being saved to.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

chisser98 wrote:Is this because my imported files were 'copied' into some virtual folder?
codelite does not copy files, it simply creates a "Virtual" representation on your file system. It does *not* create anything on the disk (this was the OP question)
chisser98 wrote:It's also very bizzare functionality, as I really have no idea where my changes are being saved to.
Right click on the modified files' tab and select 'Copy File Full Path' paste it somewhere and make sure that this is indeed the file you want

Eran
chisser98
CodeLite Curious

Post by chisser98 »

Right click on the modified files' tab and select 'Copy File Full Path' paste it somewhere and make sure that this is indeed the file you want
gah, looks like I'm just an idiot - had the same file open but in a different location. In the 'Import File From Directory' window the directory structure looked right, so I just clicked on the checkboxes; however, it was the same project but in a location other than the one I wanted.

Thanks Eran!