Using CodeLite to develop a commercial prorgam

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
gopalvenu
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Using CodeLite to develop a commercial prorgam

Post by gopalvenu »

I know CodeLIte is distributed under GPLv2 license.

But I am not sure if this means that any program I develop using CodeLite must also be open source i.e. do I need to make my source code available ? Are the rules specifically for 'programs developed using CodeLite' documented somewhere? Pardon me if there is an obvious answer - I could not see anywhere a clear answer to this question anywhere I searched. To me it seemed like any executabes I create will be bundling C++ class libraries from CodeLite or other open-source code that it uses.. and I will be bound to make my program open-source as well - am I right in this regard?

I am trying to develop a commercial program (been laid off for a couple of years and need to make some money badly) and see if I can sell it.

I love CodeLite and wish I could use it for this purpose. Of course I understand the open source spirit and I do wish I could make my own program open source as well (but I need to live :-).

Do you know any good commercial C++ IDEs that are good for cross-platform development where I do not have to disclose my own source code? Don't want to get Microsoft/Windows-centric and use Visual C++ / .NET - I want to be able to support Linux as well.

Congratulations to the CodeLite team for a truly wonderful program even if I may not be able to use it for my purpose.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: Using CodeLite to develop a commercial prorgam

Post by eranif »

Like I replied to your email:
In short, you can use codelite to develop any commercial / closed source software.

If you wish to link against codelite sources, your code must comply to the GPLv2 license.

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
gopalvenu
CodeLite Enthusiast

Re: Using CodeLite to develop a commercial prorgam

Post by gopalvenu »

Eran:

Thank you!

(unfortunately your email had gone to the spam folder - i have corrected the situation).