Can it be installed on CentOS 5.4?

CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
ET3D
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Can it be installed on CentOS 5.4?

Post by ET3D »

I have a work PC which I currently use which is running CentOS 5.4. The code development tools it has installed are pretty annoying, so I was thinking to install CodeLite. However, I'm far from a Linux expert (I develop on Windows normally) and I have no idea if any of the many install packages fit this OS.

I'd appreciate some help.
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Re: Can it be installed on CentOS 5.4?

Post by DavidGH »

Hi,
I have no idea if any of the many install packages fit this OS
Nor have I: I don't test against CentOS. But the ones most likely to succeed are the fedora ones; probably those for fedora 14.

If they don't, why not build from the tarball? It's not difficult: install the CentOS wxGTK-devel package and dependencies, plus the xterm package if it's not already installed; then build CodeLite in the standard way. See http://codelite.org/LiteEditor/Download.

Regards,

David
evstevemd
CodeLite Guru

Post by evstevemd »

ET3D wrote:I have a work PC which I currently use which is running CentOS 5.4. The code development tools it has installed are pretty annoying, so I was thinking to install CodeLite. However, I'm far from a Linux expert (I develop on Windows normally) and I have no idea if any of the many install packages fit this OS.

I'd appreciate some help.
Have never used CentOs but since it is RHEL clone then I think check this post for installing wxWidgets from repos
http://joysofprogramming.com/install-wx ... dora-rhel/

I will quote for you
This package include files needed to link with the wxGTK2 library.(as described by yum info)
Let’s first search for the package

$ yum search wxGTK-devel
wxGTK-devel.i686 : Development files for the wxGTK2 library

Note that you must be the root/administrator to install the package. To install this package in Red Hat/Fedora Linux.

$ yum install wxGTK-devel

You can check the details of this package wxGTK-devel

$ yum info wxGTK-devel
After that download and extract codelite tar (I use SVN version) and CD to that directory
then run these command by order, after one succeeds
./configure
make
sudo make install
Blessing..

CodeLite 15.x
CodeLite is awesome, I just Love it!

ET3D
CodeLite Curious

Post by ET3D »

Thanks a lot for the post, and I apologise that I didn't post earlier that I found out that Geany is installed on that machine, and that's good enough for me, so I won't try to install CodeLite. I hope that your post will not go to waste and will help someone else.