Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
GabiLaser
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

editor initial refresh

Post by GabiLaser »

Hello!

First, thank you for a great IDE! It has some great features, and most important, they also work :)

I have a small problem using this combination: TDM-GCC 4.5.1 (to avoid "out-of-memory" ld error for wxWidgets monolithic build), wxWidgets 2.8.11 and CodeLite from trunk.
CodeLite builds ok, after the 'Runtime' update it also runs ok, except for this inconvenient: when i open a file to edit it, the first tab will not display the window contents (i.e. the code) until i resize somehow that window. Note that even putting CodeLite in the background and focusing it again afterwards won't update the editor contents (i.e. of the 'code editing', syntax highlighted, scintilla based window). If, in this situation, i open another file in a second tab, it shows its contents correctly, and also now the same happens for the first one, when i move back to it.

Any ideas about what may cause this?

A nice weekend!
Gabi/Laser
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: editor initial refresh

Post by eranif »

You forgot to mention your OS.
TDM means Windows, right?

If this is the case, try build codelite / wx2811 using the MinGW that comes with codelite itself - see how it goes

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
GabiLaser
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by GabiLaser »

eranif wrote:You forgot to mention your OS.
TDM means Windows, right?

If this is the case, try build codelite / wx2811 using the MinGW that comes with codelite itself - see how it goes

Eran
Yes, sorry about not mentioning; same behavior on both Windows XP 32bit and Win 7 64bit. Also the problem affects more than just the editor window, i did a "Find in Files" operation and the bottom Search window, when it first automatically opened, showed the scrollbar not on the far right, but in the middle of its window (only left half of window was used to display search results, the other was grey as when lacking controls).
---

Since it was a little faster, i downloaded wxWidgets 2.8.10 instead and compiled CodeLite trunk with same TDM-GCC 4.5.1.This works ok!

Maybe it's this rendering issue (but i may very well not know what i'm talking about though), dealing with wxAuiNotebook and Freeze()/Thaw():

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php? ... 6#msg84466
frank_frl
CodeLite Expert

Post by frank_frl »

Hi,

I just compiled CL4752 using TDM-GCC 4.5.1, wxWidgets 2.8.11 (my normal configuration) and it works as expected (Windows XP 32bit).
So I don't think your problem is related to TDM-GCC or wxWidgets 2.8.11. Maybe you should try to rebuild wxWidgets.

Frank
GabiLaser
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by GabiLaser »

frank_frl wrote:Hi,

I just compiled CL4752 using TDM-GCC 4.5.1, wxWidgets 2.8.11 (my normal configuration) and it works as expected (Windows XP 32bit).
So I don't think your problem is related to TDM-GCC or wxWidgets 2.8.11. Maybe you should try to rebuild wxWidgets.

Frank
Thanks, well i did that (and already have it compiled on win 7 64bit and xp 32bit separately) and it's the same thing. It's nothing vital for me though, the 'official' is built with wxWidgets-2.8.10 so i'll use the same. Is there anything to do after build, except for running 'update.bat' to move new files over the old CodeLite ones (assuming CodeLite in %Program Files(x86)% folder)?
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

GabiLaser wrote:Is there anything to do after build, except for running 'update.bat' to move new files over the old CodeLite ones (assuming CodeLite in %Program Files(x86)% folder)?
No, this script does it all (just make sure you close codelite before you run it)

Eran
GabiLaser
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by GabiLaser »

eranif wrote:
GabiLaser wrote:Is there anything to do after build, except for running 'update.bat' to move new files over the old CodeLite ones (assuming CodeLite in %Program Files(x86)% folder)?
No, this script does it all (just make sure you close codelite before you run it)

Eran
Thank you - and of course. Hm. Another thing, i compiled wxWidgets dlls replacing 'custom' with 'laser' (-> wxmsw28u_gcc_laser.dll instead of wxmsw28u_gcc_custom.dll). But, if a delete the custom dll, when i close CL trunk binary, i get some Win 7 error that CL didn't shut down correctly; this doesn't happen if 'custom' (old) dll is there. This would mean something still use that dll. And sorry, if i would be a better developer i would be already presenting you the solution.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

GabiLaser wrote:i get some Win 7 error that CL didn't shut down correctly
probably codelite_indexer or one of the other binaries that comes with codelite (makedir, codelite_cppcheck and others)

Eran
GabiLaser
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by GabiLaser »

Thank you for very prompt answer!
frank_frl
CodeLite Expert

Post by frank_frl »

Hi GabiLaser,

maybe there is something messed up, you could try following if you didn't this already:
Uninstall CodeLite
Install last build from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/codelit ... e/download
Start update.bat in the Runtime folder of CL you did build yourself.
Try again if it works for you now.

Just an idea, maybe it helps.

Regards

Frank