New Projects and old make files

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
DCKelley
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

New Projects and old make files

Post by DCKelley »

When creating (or in fact importing) a project developed elsewhere that has a working Makefile is there a way to have CodeLite read that file and build the source file (and relative paths) used in the project?

It look like this can be done with MSVS work (but what I have tried brings some windows baggage I need to learn how to remove), and I see the qmake versions (have not tried), but surely something similar exists for the. Is there a "getting started" guide somewhere I should have seen that covers this?
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: New Projects and old make files

Post by eranif »

DCKelley wrote:When creating (or in fact importing) a project developed elsewhere that has a working Makefile is there a way to have CodeLite read that file and build the source file (and relative paths) used in the project?
No
DCKelley wrote:It look like this can be done with MSVS work
because the MSVS was built for IDEs while Makefile are really meant to be read by humans

If you have a working makefile, you best approach is to perform the following steps:
1) create new workspace
2) create an empty project (custom makefile project)
3) right click on the project and select 'import files from directory' (make sure to tick all the directories you want to import files from)
4) open the "project settings -> customize ->custom build" and add all the build targets you want here + the working directory from which codelite will execute the commands

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
DCKelley
CodeLite Curious

Re: New Projects and old make files

Post by DCKelley »

Thanks for your help, this is making sense now and I am able to import and create a moderately complex project under CodeLite while I keep the whole thing alive in VS2005 for legacy needs and my "hard core" co developers use g++ with a command line and their own preferences. I have yet to integrate with your CSV plug in but that's a next step. As Qt was not an option for this project, your tool looks like it will be that way that I (as a hopeless typist who simply must have an IDE to cope) can become productive again.