dual porting with Codelite

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
zaphod
CodeLite Veteran

dual porting with Codelite

Post by zaphod »

Eran, I have to say how happy I have become using Codelite. Thank you.

My main project is some artwork software written in C and compiled with GCC that runs on both Windows XP and Linux Ubuntu. I have been building the code natively using two machines and simply synchronize the source code. I now have made my main delelopment machine dual-boot: Linux & Windows. My projects are on a secondary HDD formatted as NTFS which is accessible to both the Linux & Windows OS. I'm not planning on doing cross-compilation.

Here is my question: I presume the workspace and project files are identical for both versions of Codelite, so what is the cleanest way to set up Codelite to build in each OS? The compilation command line for GCC is identical but the linking is not. Windows has DLLs and needs sundry other libraries whereas Linux has shared object files and has more standard libraries distributed. I'm trying to avoid making parallel project files. Is this possible?
frank_frl
CodeLite Expert

Re: dual porting with Codelite

Post by frank_frl »

Hi zaphod,

you can make different configurations in each project. Just configure a separate configuration for both OS in one project like WinRelease and LinuxRelease, enter appropriate compiler and linker options and here you go. Than you can use the same project file on Windows and Ubuntu or even for MAC.
Config.png
Regards

Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zaphod
CodeLite Veteran

Post by zaphod »

Thanks Frank,
I was looking at that tab but only saw Debug, Profile & Release and didn't figure I could add custom configurations.
That will do nicely.
GabiLaser
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Post by GabiLaser »

Pardon me for a slightly off topic remark - i find it very nice to have you with name Zaphod starting a thread about DUAL porting :)
zaphod
CodeLite Veteran

Post by zaphod »

Yikes! Help!
I just started Codelite on Ubuntu and pointed it to the workspace file on my NTFS drive and it announced that many of the projetcs were invalid and DELETED them without asking! I went back to XP and now the workspace is unreadable.

This is a mess.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

zaphod wrote:Yikes! Help!
I just started Codelite on Ubuntu and pointed it to the workspace file on my NTFS drive and it announced that many of the projetcs were invalid and DELETED them without asking! I went back to XP and now the workspace is unreadable.

This is a mess.
codelite does not delete anything.
It probably have removed the project(s) from the workspace if the project could not be located (which is the case of placing them under NTFS), but the actual files are still there.

This is a known limitation of codelite: it does not support placing the workspace / projects under different roots (e.g. Z:\ C:\) they all must co-exist under common root.

BTW: instead of hijacking a thread, please start a new thread - your post is not relevant to this thread
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
zaphod
CodeLite Veteran

Post by zaphod »

Eran, this was a thread I started -- it seemed entirely sensible to add to it since the issue I have encountered is a a consequence of what I was doing. I realize that my source code has NOT been deleted but I did fear that I had lost the settings for many (but not all) of my projects. For brevity (and possibly in panic) I didn't explain the background.

The sequence of events was: I was successfully building my projects on Win XP. I added Ubuntu 10.10 to dual-boot the machine. I installed Codelite 2.9.0 which is the same version as I was using on XP. I fired up Codelite on Ubuntu and pointed it to the existing workspace file (work_name.workspace) that was being successfully used by the XP version. Codelite then emitted a stream of messages identifying that many of the projects were invalid and deleted them from the workspace. That is when I panicked!

It IS true that the project files (proj_name.project) exist and I have been able to reload at least one back into the XP workspace and the settings are intact.

I shall return to the Ubuntu side of things and see what happens...
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

zaphod wrote:Eran, this was a thread I started -- it seemed entirely sensible to add to it since the issue I have encountered is a a consequence of what I was doing
I apologize - I did not scroll up to the end...
zaphod wrote: Codelite then emitted a stream of messages identifying that many of the projects were invalid and deleted them from the workspace. That is when I panicked!
As a rule: codelite will *never* delete file from the disk unless asked by the user

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread