CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
vladx
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Auto-generated HelloWorld build problem

Post by vladx »

Hello all,

I have just installed the latest codelite pack with MinGW and WXWidgets on Win7 X64 and after create a new set and configuring the Environment vars like here i tried the auto-generated hello world example after creating a new project and the build was successful but when running only the "Press any key" message was printed on console.

Anybody?

EDIT: It seems it builds successfull whatever i type in the source file so it doesn't detect any kind of error and there's no exe file or ./Debug folder created. What's happening?
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: Auto-generated HelloWorld build problem

Post by eranif »

Please post the relevant information as described here:

http://codelite.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=804

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
vladx
CodeLite Curious

Post by vladx »

Well i finally solved the C/C++ HelloWorld program which compiles fine but now with wxHelloWorld(the project template for wxwidgets) i get this:

eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Re-install codelite.
This time *don't* install wxWidgets under C:\Program Files\ (or any path that have spaces). Accepting the defaults would have save you the headache

As long as you select a path with no spaces (for the wxWidgets) it will work.
Eran
vladx
CodeLite Curious

Post by vladx »

Indeed that solved it. Thanks eranif for your help and this great IDE! :)
NameZero912
CodeLite Curious

Post by NameZero912 »

Hi! I'm new to this board and the IDE.

I was running into the same problem. I just wanted to say that, honestly, it baffles me how we still live like in a year 199x world where disorganized programmers put everything into C:\ (organization, anyone?). So many things in/around C++ and other languages FORCE you to use path without spaces (the only thing that would make it perfect is that you are forced to use folder names not longer than 8 characters, good ole DOS days).

My personal view is: I do usually not use C++ but languages that don't impose thus hurdles on the developer (and languages giving good compile error messages). Every 2 years when I do a C++ project for fun (each time using a new up-and-coming IDE, like CodeBlocks, or now CodeLite) I just try to see what happens if I use spaces in my path, since I reject the idea of polluting C: with anything than the OS files, and also don't want to have anything like D:\someCppLib. Thus I change the paths in the installer, hoping that maybe in the previous 2 years, the tool developers started to care. This does, however, not appear to be the case. I am not exactly sure how many minutes it takes to quote a path (so that it says -I"some path"), but maybe things are indeed complicated, and I also understand that this isn't always the IDE's fault, as the IDE is just wrapping calls around the console-based tools (like MinGW compiler or make, GDB debugger), and maybe these tools couldn't even handle quotes (? wouldn't surprise me tbh). But it indeed is almost funny to experience the same issues year after year.

From your IDE-developer guy's perspective, would encapsulating paths with spaces into quotes be a viable thing to do?

Cheers! (And don't take this rant as an offense, please xD)
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

NameZero912 wrote:From your IDE-developer guy's perspective, would encapsulating paths with spaces into quotes be a viable thing to do?
This is not the problem. C++ has no issue with spaces in the path, its the toolchain that raises problems.
For example, the OP problem was that one of the tools of wxWidgets was generating the compilation flags for it (wx-config in this case) and the output was:

Code: Select all

-IC:\Program Files\bla\wxWidgets-2.8.10
Now, the comiplers does not know that 'Program Files' is one word and should treat it as such (because the *tool* did not encapuslated it with quotes), so it assume that the path added was '-IC:\Program' and cause the compilation errors.

Its not about the language, its about the command line tool.
The same problem will happen if you will build Java application from command line (and not using Ant/Eclipse etc.)

Now, the user could overrcome this problem, by providing the paths by himself and not using the wx-config tool, but that will solve only this problem and might raise new one in the future, so changing the installation path is the way to go for him

Eran
NameZero912
CodeLite Curious

Post by NameZero912 »

Thanks for clearing this up. I then just wonder what the problem is for the toolchain developers. Why wouldn't they just support quoted paths? :(