Cscope plugin doesn't work on Vista

Post here any ideas/problems/suggestions you have regarding CodeLite's CScope plugin
whytea
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Cscope plugin doesn't work on Vista

Post by whytea »

I have been a cscope user for many years under Solaris, Linux and Windows. I'm delighted to finally find an IDE with a cscope plugin. I downloaded the full Windows package and installed it on my Vista machine; unfortunately I couldn't get cscope to work.

- I found the cscope_file.list to be empty
- I couldn't run cscope in the Codelite directory, it gave me
"Error opening terminal: cygwin." I followed the solution posted
by other user to copy cygwin1.dll to system32, but that didn't
help either

There is a standalone cscope.exe (without the need of cygwin) compiled by Sergey Khorev ( see http://sites.google.com/site/khorser/). Is it possible to use Sergey's copy of cscope with Codelite instead?

I am running Codelite 2.5.2.4.4031 under Windows Vista SP2.

/Why Tea
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: Cscope plugin doesn't work on Vista

Post by eranif »

whytea wrote:Is it possible to use Sergey's copy of cscope with Codelite instead?
Sure, but one question: does it work for you?

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
whytea
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by whytea »

eranif wrote:
whytea wrote:Is it possible to use Sergey's copy of cscope with Codelite instead?
Sure, but one question: does it work for you?

Eran
I tried it by replacing the version that came with CodeLite, but it didn't work for me. This is my first encounter with CodeLite, so I don't really what else to try. However, I have used Sergey's version for quite some time as an external tool to my editor and to an Autoit script - it works flawlessly in both cases.

/Why Tea
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

whytea wrote:I tried it by replacing the version that came with CodeLite, but it didn't work for me. This is my first encounter with CodeLite, so I don't really what else to try. However, I have used Sergey's version for quite some time as an external tool to my editor and to an Autoit script - it works flawlessly in both cases.
I could argue and say that the current version of cscope (the one that comes with codelite) works for me..
whytea wrote:- I couldn't run cscope in the Codelite directory, it gave me
"Error opening terminal: cygwin." I followed the solution posted
You don't require cygwin terminal to work with the codelite version of cscope (I dont have cygwin installed and its working perfect for me)
You need to run it like codelite does:

Code: Select all

cscope.exe -L -0 MyFunction  -i cscope_file.list
whytea wrote:- I found the cscope_file.list to be empty
This is the problem. Do you have a workspace open? to be able to use cscope (from within codelite), you need a workspace. codelite activates cscope on the files of the workspace - not on a random directory.

Try creating a workspace with a project - then try to perform a search and see how it works.
Eran
whytea
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by whytea »

OK. I didn't create a project in the workspace created. Now everything is working fine. Thanks!

Will try to run it on Linux now...

Thanks again for the prompt reply.

/Why Tea
whytea
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by whytea »

Sorry for asking again.

I have tried the same thing on Windows 2003 and Cscope didn't work there. I noticed cscope_file.list to be containing a list of files, but the indexing seemed to have failed. Has anybody managed to run the Cscope on Win2k3? Is there anything else I could try?

/Why Tea
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

whytea wrote: Is there anything else I could try?
Did you try running it from the command line like I suggested in the previous post? If it still fails, you want to try and use your cscope.exe

Eran
whytea
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by whytea »

eranif wrote:
Did you try running it from the command line like I suggested in the previous post? If it still fails, you want to try and use your cscope.exe

Eran
Yes, I tried both but cscope still doesn't work. The original version still had the Cygwin error, Sergey's version ran fine in a cmd window.
whytea
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by whytea »

whytea wrote:
eranif wrote:

Eran
Yes, I tried both but cscope still doesn't work. The original version still had the Cygwin error, Sergey's version ran fine in a cmd window.
Sorry, the message "Error opening terminal: cygwin." is not really an indication that cscope isn't running. That's misleading. When I tried "cscope -V" and I got "cscope: version 15.6". So cscope is running fine and the file listing was created, but the index (.out) file wasn't created. Other than that, the "Goto Declaration", etc. are all OK.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

whytea wrote:Other than that, the "Goto Declaration", etc. are all OK.
You do know that the 'goto declaration' etc, does not come from cscope? codelite has its own indexer. cscope is just a minor plugin which provide the cscope functionality (you can see what it does from the 'plugins -> cscope') nothing more nothing less.

All other options (code-completion, go to decl/impl etc are coming from codelite_indexer)

Eran