General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
KristianKarl
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Maximize the source code editor view

Post by KristianKarl »

Hi,

First of all, thanks for a truly great piece of software. I've been looking for some time for a good C++ IDE. I tried Eclipse CDT and Netbeans and Code::Blocks. But this software really did it for me. It's fast, it's easy to work with. So, keep up the good work :-)

Anyways, now to my question. (I've searched the forum for a previous question regarding this topic, but did not find any). I miss the functionality of maximizing the source code editor view. I need to do this from time to time to get a better view of the code, and the quickly restore the view. For example, in Eclipse I double-click on the tab of the view, and the view gets maximized. Double-click again, and the view gets restored.

Have I missed something? Can I do something similar today in CodeLite?

/Kristian
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: Maximize the source code editor view

Post by eranif »

You will surprised, but many of codelite features actually were inspired by Eclipse / Visual Studio

For example: Ctrl-Shift-O (view current file layout), or Ctrl-Shift-R (open resource) etc.

Another feature taken from eclipse is Ctrl-M (maximize the active editor view) - I did not copy the double-click way of doing it but only the Ctrl-M (you can achieve the maximize effect using Ctrl-M in eclipse too)

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
KristianKarl
CodeLite Curious

Post by KristianKarl »

Thank you! Ctrl+M will do nicely!

/Regards Kristian

PS: Yes, I do see Visual Studio here and there!. And that's the way to go. Pick the good stuff from different sources, and put it all together. Good work! DS
kspes
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by kspes »

good to know! I mostly just show/hide the output window since I'm on a widescreen monitor most of the time.
Visual studio is a good ide to get ideas from, they've made some nice things, but I'm dissatisfied with many other VC++ features compared to CodeLite.

What's surprising is that Visual C# for example works almost flawlessly, code completion in C# virtually never fails whilst in VC++ it's preety bad.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

kspes wrote:code completion in C# virtually never fails whilst in VC++ it's preety bad.
Parsing C# is piece of cake comparing to parsing C++ - this is why completion of C# is superior to C++.
Also, C# like Java were built around tools, they are very much IDEs friendly, you cant say that on C++

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
kspes
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by kspes »

Agreed, c# is much simpler but it doesnt excuse microsofts intellisense. Its not horrible but has many problems and personally i havent seen improvements since 6.0