flexmcmurphy
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Setting up Compiler to support C18 standard

Post by flexmcmurphy »

Hello,

I am using Codelite 14.0.0

I want to write programs in the C programming language. I am trying to configure the compiler to enforce the C18 standard.
When I go in to this menu --> Workspace > Open Active Project Settings > Compiler> C Compiler Options

I don't see the option to set the C compiler options to compile against the C18 standard. I see a checkbox for "Enable ANSI C99 features" and another that says: "In C mode, support all ISO C90 programs."

Is it possible to make Codelite compile programs that are compatible with the C18 standard?

Cheers,

Flex
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: Setting up Compiler to support C18 standard

Post by eranif »

CodeLite is an IDE. Just install the compiler you want and tell CodeLite to use it
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
flexmcmurphy
CodeLite Curious

Post by flexmcmurphy »

Thank you for your response.

I am using gcc.exe (MinGW.org GCC Build-2) 9.2.0
I configured that compiler in Codelite: Menu > Workspace > Open Active Project Settings > General > Compiler

And it does compile C programs that I write. However I want to write different programs against different C standards.

When I write C++ programs there are check boxes in Workspace > Open Active Project Settings > Compiler> C Compiler Options... and I can use them to specify the language standard for the compiler to compile against such as:
Enable C++11 features
Enable C++14 features
Enable C++17 features

I don't see those kind of choices in there for the different standards in C such as: ANSI C, C90, C99, C11 and C18.
The closest thing I see is the option: "Enable ANSI C99 features."
So maybe the Codelite 14.0.0 IDE doesn't have a way to direct the compiler to the C18 standard? Or maybe you don't need to because it just will anyway? But then why can't I choose just C99 or C11 when Codelite lets you specify so carefully the different C++ standards?

Is it possible to configure Codelite to specifically use the ANSI C, C90 or C99 or C11 or C18 C language standards or maybe it is not possible because it is mostly intended to be used to write C++ programs?

Cheers,

flex
flexmcmurphy
CodeLite Curious

Post by flexmcmurphy »

Here is what I did to solve my problem.

As recommended in a helpful response to this thread I downloaded the latest version of GCC from http://winlibs.com/

Then I added that GCC compiler to Codelite.. Menu > Settings > Build Settings > Press the + icon to add a compiler and navigate to the bin directory of the MinGW GCC [e.g: C:\mingw64\bin] then give it a name, e.g: GCC 10.2.0

To tell Codelite to tell the GCC compiler to compile C programs against the (latest) C18 standard...

The option to specify C18 is not listed in Menu > Workspace > Open Active Project Settings > Compiler> C Compiler Options.

You can tell the GCC compiler in Codelite to use the C18 standard for a specific Project by going to Menu > Workspace > Open Active Project Settings > Compiler> C Compiler Options then click on the little ellipsis button then type in -std=c18 in the "Enter other options" textbox.

Alternatively you can add this to the list of "C Compiler Options"… Menu > Settings > Build Settings > Compiler Options > New.
Then for "Switch" type: -std=c18 and for "Help" type: Enable C18 features.

As explained in the Language Standards Supported by GCC and from testing I note that to enforce the gcc compiler to use the C18 standard you can specify -std=c11 OR -std=c17 OR -std=c18 as a parameter to gcc.exe

Cheers,

flex