CodeLite Crashes when Clicking Settings, Build, "+", and OK

CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
ColleenKobe
CodeLite Expert
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

CodeLite Crashes when Clicking Settings, Build, "+", and OK

Post by ColleenKobe »

I'm having a hard time getting CodeLite to accept my Settings/Build/Add an Existing Compiler selection. CodeLite crashes after I hit OK. When I say "crashes," I mean its page disappears, its entry on the taskbar vanishes, and it disappears from the Task Manager.

Background.

I've been using CodeLite version 12.0.15 (I'm pretty sure that was the version number) and wxCrafter version 2.9 on Windows 10 for many months, and they've been playing together perfectly. No troubles. My programming environment has been wonderfully stable for quite some time.

All was well until this morning. When I tried to build my project for the first time, I got an error message saying "Could not find selected compiler." When I clicked "Click to select a compiler," there were no compilers in the list.

So I clicked on Settings, Build Settings, and the Compilers tab. That page looks like the screen shot below.
Build Settings--Empty.jpg
I remembered at some point in the past to take a screen shot of this page so I would know what to type in there later on, if there's a problem. I've posted the page below.
Settings--Build Settings.jpg
I clicked the "+" sign to add an existing compiler. The folder C:\MinGW came up, and I clicked the "bin" folder and the button "Select Folder."

A message box came up saying "New compiler found!" and showed

gcc.exe (MinGW.org GCC-6.3.0-1) 6.3.0

I navigated to folder C:\MinGW\bin, and there is indeed a program there called gcc.exe (without the text in quotes or the "6.3.0."). That long string isn't quite what's in my screen shot, but I figured it would be okay. So I clicked OK.

And then CodeLite crashed.

I tried this sequence a few more times and CodeLite always crashed.

So I tried reloading CodeLite. I uninstalled CodeLite using the Windows 10 Control Panel, keeping the current settings. Then I downloaded the latest-and-greatest version, which is 13.0.8. I installed it, keeping the current settings. I had to reload the existing compilers because the fields were blank, and when I went through the same sequence of steps as before, CodeLite crashed again.

So...I uninstalled CodeLite again, keeping the current settings. Then I went through my Download folder to find the most recent version of CodeLite I'd been using, aside from the one I'd just downloaded (13.0.8). That turned out to be version 12.0.15. I installed it, tried to change the Build settings, and AGAIN CodeLite crashes!

As a last resort, I tried entering the fields on the right side of that page without putting any compilers in the field on the left side of the page. When I clicked OK or Apply, CodeLite crashes.

So, it seems my next step would be to install CodeLite WITHOUT keeping all my settings. I hesitate to do that because I have a very large workspace with three Projects, and a lot of fields to fill in under Project/Settings.

Additional Data.

* I haven't changed my Windows system path in months, but it is:

Code: Select all

%SystemRoot%;
%SystemRoot%\System32;
%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\OpenSSH\;
%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;
%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Client;
C:\MinGW\bin;
C:\wxWidgets\include;
C:\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_dll;
F:\KEDITW\User;
F:\SBIR_Phase_II;
F:\SBIR_Phase_II\Background;
F:\SBIR_Phase_II\Behind_the_Scenes;
F:\SBIR_Phase_II\Main;
F:\SBIR_Phase_II\Resources;
G:\DAS128_Data;
G:\DAS128_Exe;

* My CodeLite Settings/Environment Variables field contains only

CodeLiteDir=C:\Program Files\CodeLite

And yes, I always install CodeLite into that folder.

What do I need to do to get CodeLite to properly recognize and save my Settings/Build fields?

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ColleenKobe
CodeLite Expert

Re: CodeLite Crashes when Clicking Settings, Build, "+", and OK

Post by ColleenKobe »

Okay, I reverted back to CodeLite 12.0.9, and the installation recalled my settings. I am able to compile and link and build and run. All is well in my world again!!!

Thank you for such a wonderful working environment. :-D Blessings and good wishes to you.

Colleen
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Usually, when things like this happen, it means that CodeLite exited abnormally (either crashed or power shutdown)
and configuration files were corrupted.

The quick fix is just go ahead and:

1. Close CodeLite
2. Delete the folder %appdata%\CodeLite
3. Start CodeLite

Problem solved
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
ColleenKobe
CodeLite Expert

Post by ColleenKobe »

Wonderful! That would be an easy fix. I'll make a note of this in case it ever happens again.

Thank you!

Colleen