new to CodeLite, but not new to C++

CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
LeavingPascal
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

new to CodeLite, but not new to C++

Post by LeavingPascal »

Ubuntu 16.04, Acer i7, 8GB, 256SSD laptop. All up tot date.

Just installed Codelite 12.0.10 as I wanted to try the WxWidgets and cannot seem to get started even with a Console program, so I found this Forum and a search here returned
https://forums.codelite.org/viewtopic.p ... ted#p16833
which suggested
http://codelite.org/LiteEditor/HelloWorld

I created a new Workspace from the main CodeLite start-up page.
Clicked the "Workspace," menu and the drop down and not a good start
" From the main menu bar go to the 'Workspace' menu and select the entry 'Create New Project'."

There is no "Create New Project" but there **is** a "New Project," but it is grayed out.

Is there a video for getting started with WxWidgets and Ubuntu?
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: new to CodeLite, but not new to C++

Post by eranif »

If you created a workspace, then you can right click it and select "New -> New project"
Then select the project type you want and click OK
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
LeavingPascal
CodeLite Curious

Post by LeavingPascal »

eranif wrote:If you created a workspace, then you can right click it and select "New -> New project"
Then select the project type you want and click OK
Thanks, but i was more interested in some correct Tutorials to follow. My thinking was if i can't even get a Console tutorial to work, how much time will I waste with incorrect tutorials trying to get working with WxWidgets.

Hence, my last sentence. :)

Tutorials using WxWidgets? They seem pretty thin on the ground at youtube.
neildarlow
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by neildarlow »

I've not been using CodeLite very long but I've found it to be quite intuitive.

As Eran said after creating the workspace most actions can be achieved by right-click on either the workspace entry or newly created project entry.

Selecting one of the canned wxWidgets projects will give you a working example. Beyond that you will have to invest effort into learning the topology of wxWidgets which I have done from the wxWidgets website documentation. If you have done any amount of Windows programming you should find it quite familiar as I find that much of wxWidgets' functionality is based on the Windows paradigm. The benefit is that you get to deploy your application on Linux, MacOS and Windows afterwards.

I am programming on Linux Mint and find CodeLite very good. Having used other tools like Code::Blocks, Anjuta and KDevelop it is every bit as good as any of them. An update of the alternatives choice for wx-config even lets you produce either a GTK2 or GTK3 binary.

Put in the time and you'll find it very rewarding. Ask questions here and you'll get plenty of good quality help.

Regards,
Neil