BUG: Can't type { and [ symbol on Spanish Mac keyboard.

Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
Jedive
CodeLite Curious

BUG: Can't type { and [ symbol on Spanish Mac keyboard.

Post by Jedive »

I can't tell if it also happens on non-spanish keyboards, or in other platforms apart from OS X, but I can't type the symbols "{" nor "[" in CodeLite. It works with "}" and "]", but for the other ones, the only solution is to copy-paste them, which makes programming in C/C++ really frustrating.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: BUG: Can't type { and [ symbol on Spanish Mac keyboard.

Post by eranif »

Hi,

I have en Mac, and all is working here.
Same for windows/Linux.

Have you tried to modify the 'international' settings?

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
Jedive
CodeLite Curious

Post by Jedive »

You mean the International settings on OS X, or s it there such a thing on CodeLite itself? If you mean OS X International settings, it's not an option to change the kehboard layout to anything else than Spanish, cos I don't want to press a key which has a character painted on it, and get a different one on the screen.

This problem does not happen with any other editor I am using, like Code::Blocks, Xcode or TextWrangler.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Post by eranif »

I meant OSX ...

I tried to played with it a bit to make it happen here with no luck.

My next suggestion was to try other wxScintilla editors and see if it happens there - you already did and it looks like it is a codelite bug, however I have no way of fixing it since I cant make it happen here (I could try and read codeblocks sources...)

EDIT:
Can u build codelite on Mac? - if you could I could guide you for how to debug it
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
Jedive
CodeLite Curious

Post by Jedive »

Ok, I have double checked the functionality on Code::Blocks. It works on my MacBook when using Windows on Boot Camp. On Mac I have the same problem. And checking CodeLite on Windows, it also works correctly, so the problem appears only on OSX on both CodeLite and Code::Blocks. But as I said, TextWrangler and Xcode work perfectly fine.

This leads me to think that, as you said, it is a problem with wxScintilla. Do you know if there are any support forums for wxScintilla? It makes more sense if I report the bug there directly :) Also, do you know of any other wxScintilla or plain Scintilla based editors on Mac?
sdolim
CodeLite Veteran

Post by sdolim »

There's Scite, the "Scintilla Text Editor" -- it is a "demo platform" for the Scintilla editor component.

edit: Not sure if there's a separate Mac version, or if you have to build it from source.

Scott
Jedive
CodeLite Curious

Post by Jedive »

I've used SciTE on Windows and Linux, and although I know the official version of Scintilla is now Mac-compatible, I have never seen a binary build of SciTE for it. I mean, SciTE uses the Win32 API on Windows and GTK+ on Linux, but even if Scintilla works on Mac, it does not mean that they've done a port of SciTE. I'll take a look into it.
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Post by DavidGH »

Hi,
This leads me to think that, as you said, it is a problem with wxScintilla. Do you know if there are any support forums for wxScintilla? It makes more sense if I report the bug there directly :)
wxScintilla is based at http://wxcode.sourceforge.net, but it's not exactly actively-maintained: the last cvs commit was 2 years ago.
Also, do you know of any other wxScintilla or plain Scintilla based editors on Mac?
wxStyledTextCtrl, which is in the wx /contrib dir in 2.8, and in the mainsteam of 2.9. wxScintilla was forked from it several years ago, when wxSTC wasn't being maintained. Now it is; which perhaps is part of the reason why wxScintilla isn't.

You can easily test it: see contrib/samples/stc/stctest.cpp

Regards,

David