glenenglish
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

building Codelite for non x86

Post by glenenglish »

Hi
I have read "HOWTO: Building codelite from sources (Ubuntu)"

I want to write and develop natively on ARM based linux. Currently I do all my work on my debian x86 machine with Codelite,
..then when I am happy, I move the source to the target platform and build there (with just a few small changes to the codelite makefiles)
However I now have to use alot of ARM only facilities, like NEON, and to make it not too hard I'd like to move development onto the ARM target
The target is quite capable..Odroid XU4.

Before I commit, do you forsee, in a crystal ball , any thing that is likely to completely stop me building Codelite on the ARM platform (Ubuntu), like some access to some bit of compiled library for x86 that I just can't get ) ?

with thanks
glen english.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: building Codelite for non x86

Post by eranif »

Hi,
before you start building CodeLite, try getting wxWidget to compile on your machine ( and run the samples to see. that it works)
If you succeed in doing this, then I don't think that you will have any problems in porting CodeLite.
I will need to update some of the cmake files to support the new arch (for example , CodeLite requires libsqlite3-dev on Linux )

But one step at a time, also, feel free to contact me directly on email for assistance

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
Modem Man
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Modem Man »

just my 5 cents ...

this really sounds interesting, since the Raspberry Pi2 with Raspbian (or OpenELEC) is another ARM target which potentially needs a better Development Environment.
(Yes I know, a remote-debugging and remote-deploying IDE like Eclipse CDT + Eclipse TCF would be a much more smart way, but did anybody ever used Eclipse without getting mad?)

best regards,
MM
glenenglish
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by glenenglish »

Hi Erin
thanks for the info.
Up late sunday evening on the little ARM machine (4 x A15 @ 2 gigs + 4 x A7 @ 1.5 gigs)
but it is only using one core to do all that work....

so far, installed libwxgtk3.0-dev \
libgtk2.0-dev \
pkg-config \
build-essential \
git \
cmake \
libsqlite3-dev \
libssh-dev \
libedit-dev \
libhunspell-dev \
libclang-3.5-dev \
clang-format-3.5 \
liblldb-3.5-dev

all those packages were available in their binaries for arm-linux-gnueabi-armhf...
as of course it is not exactly a rare platform...

currently BUILDING wxWidgets from source. this is taking a while. ....zzzz
Also CLONEing from Git codelite source. I see 500MB to get....

I'll go to bed I think and see what it did.... more tomorrow.

What would be good is to somehow make a package from my install if I get this to work.

cheers
glenenglish
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by glenenglish »

Howdy MM

Actually might be a bit more difficult on Raspberry Pie being very old ARMv6 architecture (I think that's why they were so cheap because Broadcom were looking for something to do with a few million obsolete chips ) and also the Rasp Pi is fairly poor when it comes to performance

Nevertheless !!! if you can put all the libraries together it would probably work.

HOWEVER
I would suggest using an ARMv7 platform .... which is pretty much 99% (IE everyting else) on the market .

I'd suggest the Hardkernel platforms (ODROID) - their package and distro support is widespread and robust.

Please accept my apologies if I am "teaching you to suck eggs " :-)

cheers
Modem Man wrote:just my 5 cents ...

this really sounds interesting, since the Raspberry Pi2 with Raspbian (or OpenELEC) is another ARM target which potentially needs a better Development Environment.
(Yes I know, a remote-debugging and remote-deploying IDE like Eclipse CDT + Eclipse TCF would be a much more smart way, but did anybody ever used Eclipse without getting mad?)

best regards,
MM
glenenglish
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by glenenglish »

Hi ERan

well , almost.
wxWidgets took about an hour to build, but successfully.
Codelite CMAKE was building on all 4 cores simultaneously, impressive, took about 30 minutes , got to 92% and then....internal compiler error.....
let me know what files from where you might want

cheers
glen.

[ 92%] Building CXX object LiteEditor/CMakeFiles/codelite.dir/debugger_predefined_types_page.cpp.o
[ 92%] Building CXX object LiteEditor/CMakeFiles/codelite.dir/clang_result_lexer.cpp.o
[ 92%] Building CXX object LiteEditor/CMakeFiles/codelite.dir/output_pane.cpp.o
[ 92%] Building CXX object LiteEditor/CMakeFiles/codelite.dir/ps_debugger_page.cpp.o
c++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.9/README.Bugs> for instructions.
LiteEditor/CMakeFiles/codelite.dir/build.make:4493: recipe for target 'LiteEditor/CMakeFiles/codelite.dir/frame.cpp.o' failed
make[2]: *** [LiteEditor/CMakeFiles/codelite.dir/frame.cpp.o] Error 4
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2058: recipe for target 'LiteEditor/CMakeFiles/codelite.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [LiteEditor/CMakeFiles/codelite.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:117: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
odroid@odroid:~/codelite/build-release$

cheers
glen

eranif wrote:Hi,
before you start building CodeLite, try getting wxWidget to compile on your machine ( and run the samples to see. that it works)
If you succeed in doing this, then I don't think that you will have any problems in porting CodeLite.
I will need to update some of the cmake files to support the new arch (for example , CodeLite requires libsqlite3-dev on Linux )

But one step at a time, also, feel free to contact me directly on email for assistance

Eran
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Post by DavidGH »

Hi,

I have zero ARM knowledge/experience, and the following may be irrelevant to your situation, but:
Codelite CMAKE was building on all 4 cores simultaneously, impressive, took about 30 minutes , got to 92% and then....internal compiler error.
I've had lots of similar issues building different Linux packages on VirtualBox guests. Searching suggested it is an underesourcing problem; I was supplying too little swap space, and using too many cores (I've no idea why swap space was needed in this situation, but that's what google told me). I've had much less trouble since providing more swap, and where necessary reducing core use.

I suggest trying again using -j2, or even -j1.

Regards,

David
glenenglish
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by glenenglish »

Hi David
Many thanks for your suggestion
Because.. it worked- it all built, and then I made install and Codelite cam eup
and then crashed.
It put up the codelite crashhandler with nothing in it and didnt get any further.

sent it SIGTERM and it says it's done a core dump.

Erin suggested testing wxWidgets, also, I'll try that and then start again with a clean.
ps.
I've found a step I missed with wxWidgets
Erin- which options should I pass to ../configure ? there are a few like opengl, unicode, disable shared etc

cheers
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Post by DavidGH »

It put up the codelite crashhandler with nothing in it and didnt get any further.
Is gdb installed? If so try running CodeLite in it.
which options should I pass to ../configure
For CodeLite use, you don't need any (unless you want an in-situ build, in which case --prefix=$(pwd)). disable-shared has always been the default. Since wx3 unicode is the default, and all builds are debug ones.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Glen, which cmake command did you use?

I would recommend reducing to minimal the build, for example this will remove clang code completion, SFTP and LLDB debugger:

Code: Select all

cmake -DENABLE_CLANG=0 -DENABLE_LLDB=0 -DENABLE_SFTP=0 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..
Can you run CodeLite under gdb?

Code: Select all

gdb /usr/bin/codelite
and see why it crashes?

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread