Feedback from first use of CodeLite

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
kortyburns
CodeLite Enthusiast

Feedback from first use of CodeLite

Post by kortyburns »

First, great work and thank you for this open source IDE !

Here is a feedback of my first use of CodeLite. I hope this will help for future improvements.

svn : svn checkout done without any problem (trunk r2543)

compilation/installation : using make -j2 caused error in compilation. I just had to recall make again and all was OK.

Using CodeLite
- Global interface :
- Toolbar : Like in CBlocks, the toolbar is big, too big. I ve changed toolbar icon size from 24 to 16 pix, but the toolbar has not resized : toolbar button have the same size as before, but the pix are now little.
- Workspace pane view listbox content : I would reduce the vertical size of each item, there is too much space between 2 items.
- Ctrl-tab : i love it, as the FIFO way to use it (last viewed code is the first Ctrl-tab will switch in).
- Code Completion : Works fine :) .
- Suggestions :
- Add CodeCompletion for class/functions with template parameters.
- Add CodeCompletion after #include directive with headers present in syspath or current source dir (depending on '<' or '"' ).
- Add "Help" like in VisualStudio : for example, when selecting a class member in VS CodeCompletion window, a hint text appears next the selected class member and displays the class member's help. I ve attached a picture showing this. VS uses MS documentation format. The one of CLite could use Doxygen's one.
- Add a definition window in output view pane, like in VStudio : when cursor is on a variable or anything, the definition window displays the definition of the variable/function/class...It is in fact an auto "jump to definition" window.
- Debugging window :Works fine, i like the hint displaying debug info when putting mouse cursor on a variable. The content of the hint can be improved : each object property could be displayed in each line, using tabulations in case of object encapsulation.
I ve not tested multithreaded env yet.

Hope this helps,
Kortyburns.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ubuntu64 Intrepid(8.10)
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: Feedback from first use of CodeLite

Post by eranif »

kortyburns wrote:- Workspace pane view listbox content : I would reduce the vertical size of each item, there is too much space between 2 items.
of which tab? there are 5 tabs there (depends of you enabled SymbolView plugin)
kortyburns wrote:compilation/installation : using make -j2 caused error in compilation. I just had to recall make again and all was OK.
Yes, I am aware of it
kortyburns wrote:- Toolbar : Like in CBlocks, the toolbar is big, too big. I ve changed toolbar icon size from 24 to 16 pix, but the toolbar has not resized : toolbar button have the same size as before, but the pix are now little.
delete ~/.codelite/config/codelite.layout and it will be OK

kortyburns wrote:- Add CodeCompletion for class/functions with template parameters.
It does work for template (well, in most cases it does work :D), however if you tested it with STL then it probably failed
kortyburns wrote:- Add CodeCompletion after #include directive with headers present in syspath or current source dir (depending on '<' or '"' ).
Already there, have u tried: #include <CTRL+SPACE ? OR type: #include "CTRL+SPACE
kortyburns wrote:- Add "Help" like in VisualStudio : for example, when selecting a class member in VS CodeCompletion window, a hint text appears next the selected class member and displays the class member's help. I ve attached a picture showing this. VS uses MS documentation format. The one of CLite could use Doxygen's one.
A FR for this feature already exist. CodeLite do provide some doxygen help, it is disabled by default. enable it from:
settings -> tags settings and tick:
- Display comments in tooltip
- Display function calltip
- Parse comments

Retag your workspace, and try to hover classes/methods with the mouse

If you are using SVN trunk, try to update to 2457 and checkout the new 'Find In Files':

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
kortyburns
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by kortyburns »

kortyburns wrote:- Workspace pane view listbox content : I would reduce the vertical size of each item, there is too much space between 2 items.
of which tab? there are 5 tabs there (depends of you enabled SymbolView plugin)]
I mean all tabs : for example if you use the explorer tab, the vertical margin is too big. In the same space, more files could be displayed there.
kortyburns wrote:- Toolbar : Like in CBlocks, the toolbar is big, too big. I ve changed toolbar icon size from 24 to 16 pix, but the toolbar has not resized : toolbar button have the same size as before, but the pix are now little.
delete ~/.codelite/config/codelite.layout and it will be OK
I ve done it, thanks, but the toolbar height is still too big (it s just my opinion :) ).
kortyburns wrote:- Add CodeCompletion after #include directive with headers present in syspath or current source dir (depending on '<' or '"' ).
Already there, have u tried: #include <CTRL+SPACE ? OR type: #include "CTRL+SPACE
Yes you rigth !

kortyburns wrote:- Add "Help" like in VisualStudio : for example, when selecting a class member in VS CodeCompletion window, a hint text appears next the selected class member and displays the class member's help. I ve attached a picture showing this. VS uses MS documentation format. The one of CLite could use Doxygen's one.
A FR for this feature already exist. CodeLite do provide some doxygen help, it is disabled by default. enable it from:
settings -> tags settings and tick:
- Display comments in tooltip
- Display function calltip
- Parse comments
Retag your workspace, and try to hover classes/methods with the mouse
Wonderful, thank you !
I Doxygen tags are now displayed, but only for an implementation. I mean the Doxygen hint seems not to work with functions calls. For example :

Code: Select all

#include <right_header_with_doxygen_declaration.h>

int my_func(const char* test) // mouseover here works, i see doxygen tags
{
    int rc ;
    rc = a_function_call(3) ; // mouseover here seems not to work, i see only the declaration of the function, not the doxy tags.
}

If you are using SVN trunk, try to update to 2457 and checkout the new 'Find In Files':
I ve just updated to trunk r2555, and i love this way you did !
Just one question about it : It is possible, in the scintilla editor window (where source code is displayed), to change the current cursor's line background color with a slightly other color, in order to easily detect where is the current cursor. I can be usefull when used with the Find result window.
Ubuntu64 Intrepid(8.10)
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Post by eranif »

kortyburns wrote:Just one question about it : It is possible, in the scintilla editor window (where source code is displayed), to change the current cursor's line background color with a slightly other color, in order to easily detect where is the current cursor. I can be usefull when used with the Find result window.
have u tried 'settings -> editor' in the 'Guides' tick 'highlight caret line' (you can select the colour from the colour picker on that page)

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
kortyburns
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by kortyburns »

have u tried 'settings -> editor' in the 'Guides' tick 'highlight caret line' (you can select the colour from the colour picker on that page)
Haha exact, it works fine, thanks.
Ubuntu64 Intrepid(8.10)