Active Project "compiler settings" disappeared

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
Arbalest
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Active Project "compiler settings" disappeared

Post by Arbalest »

While working in the usual way (CodeLite 5.1, Ubuntu 12.04 under vmPlayer) I found my next build cycle to be full of errors. As I looked around I found that all of my compiler settings had been blanked out.

Is there some key combination that can be pressed (if accidentally) to do this? My settings were easy enough to enter again, and all is fine now. But I am just concerned that there is something I did to cause this. Also, I want to report a problem if there is one. I went on working for several more hours after restoring the settings so I don't know if any useful information is preserved at this point.
solewalker
CodeLite Veteran

Re: Active Project "compiler settings" disappeared

Post by solewalker »

may be you were initially building for 'Debug' then accidentally switched to 'Release', otherwise I don't see any key to clear that up
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Arbalest wrote:Is there some key combination that can be pressed (if accidentally) to do this?
No, none that I can think of

I really cant understand how such thing happened...
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
Arbalest
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Arbalest »

Solewalker - you are on to something.

On one hand, when the problem occurred I repopulated my blank compiler settings, built things OK and continued to DEBUG my project. On the other hand, I have never configured compiler settings for Release -- and now I see the settings are populated in the way I could best recall my previous settings, but clearly different e.g., the same switches are in a different order than my debug settings so I must have done that after the problem.

I think what happened is MAYBE related to two things. First I used Ctrl-F7 to compile a file rather than F7 to build the project. Second, several of my recent posts are related to my accelerators not working correctly in my current set-up and something I pressed today was misinterpreted in my environment.

I'll investigate later and report back if I find anything interesting.
Gibbon1
CodeLite Expert

Post by Gibbon1 »

I've had that happen. Came in the morning and my computer had reset in the night while codelite was running. Fired up codelite and compiler settings were hosed. When I investigated I found the 'build_settings.xml' under users/blah/config was corrupted. I'm suspecting codelite either holds that file open when it's running or, tries to write to it when it shuts down sometimes. You might want to save a copy of that file somewhere so it it happens again, you can just copy over the corrupted file.

One other thing I've noted. Never ever open a projects make or config files with an external editor when you have the project open in codelite. I had a developer who was constantly trying to do that and then blaming codelite because files would get out of sync and corrupted. Not sure but I think sometimes when some other program has a mk file open when codelite tries to overwrite it, codelite fails silently.
Arbalest
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Arbalest »

Thanks Gibbon1.

I made a copy of the build_settings XML file. But when I open that file I don't see my actual build settings in there. For that matter, when I "grep" in the whole directory for some of my options I don't see them. I'll assume they are somewhere else or encoded.

I copied the options from the dialog box to a separate file to be safe.
Gibbon1
CodeLite Expert

Post by Gibbon1 »

If I remember correctly codelite has template build_settings.xml.default that it copies into a users AppData folder (at least on windows)

Mine is located here, probably way different under linux.

C:\Users\dasfoo\AppData\Roaming\CodeLite\config\build_settings.xml

If the build_settings.xml gets corrupt I think codelite still runs (no error reported) but no compiler settings are loaded. If you rename the bad build_setting.xml file so codelite can't find it, then codelite creates a new copy from the template.