Problems on MS Windows Vista/7

CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
marfi
CodeLite Expert

Problems on MS Windows Vista/7

Post by marfi »

Hi Eran,
I played with CL on Windows Vista and Windows 7 little bit and I've revealed several problems dealing with UAC and standard CL's configuration and Workspace paths. The problem is that default configuration/workspace folder on Windows is "C:\Program Files" where a write access for non-installation processes is forbidden. Moreover, on Windows 7 all subfolders/files created by an application in "Program Files" directory are some kind virtual - they are hidden in Windows Explorer and even in TotalCommander (with enabled showing of hidden files) - and they are deleted after the application termination! It means that none of CL's configuration/workspace/project folders/files are persistent. Also the MinGW compiler has problems with compiling of files stored in "Program Files" folder (I guess the same problem will appear for all paths with spaces and non-ascii characters).

So, suggestion for making CL more Vista/7 friendly is:
1) store CL's configuration in location where users' write access is permited: for example into users home folders (or users' application data folder). You can obtain it by calling of wxStandardPaths::GetUserDataDir() function.
2) set workspace/project default path to user's documents directory (wxStandardPaths::GetDocumentsDir()).

Best regards
Michal
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: Problems on MS Windows Vista/7

Post by eranif »

I got a patch from one of codelite users to mimic the Windows installation to be the same as Linux (using C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\codelite for storing the configurations) however this behavior was not fully tested and I reverted this change in the last minute (dont know if you noticed that, but when I released codelite 1.0.3031 a 1 hour later, I uploaded another version 1.0.3035, this was the reason)

Now that I dont have the "release pressure"' :) I can re-apply this patch (along with another pending patch) to trunk and give it another try

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread