CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
cfreehill
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: c++

Windows Memory usage

Post by cfreehill »

Hi,
I'm new to using CodeLite. I'm trying it as an alternative to Eclipse. I want to use it mainly as simply a c/c++ code browser. The source resides on Linux, but I run the IDE on WIndows and access files via Samba. I don't need debugging and compiling capabilities as I do those separately, though if I could make them work easily and reliably, I would probably do it.

But mainly, I just need a nice reliable editor. I like the ease of use of Codelite so far.

The problem is, after a while the memory usage seem to get out of control. The Windows task manager shows it starting at a few hundred MBs (currently, its 583MB). But after a while, it will show 3 GB, at which point it become unresponsive.

Working with the theory that some of the plugins may be the issue, I've disabled most of them. Currently I have only the outline and source code formatter plugins enabled. But I still have the issu

The version I'm using is 15.0.0 on Windows 10.

My question is, are there things I can do to prevent the runaway memory usage; e.g., setting I can set or plugins I should avoid using?

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

cfreehill
CodeLite Curious

Re: Windows Memory usage

Post by cfreehill »

I've unchecked every Code Completion option and every plugin. Still, eventually, the memory usage goes up to 3.2 GB. :|

eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Post by eranif »

have you tried accessing files in some other methods?
I am not sure why, but I would suspect that the samba thing causes issues with the code completion (the internal one can't be turned off for C++)

For example, have you tried using the Remoty plugin? https://docs.codelite.org/plugins/remoty/

Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
cfreehill
CodeLite Curious

Post by cfreehill »

You're probably right that it has something to do with the Samba thing.

I noticed that the sluggishness seems to be independent of the memory usage. When the memory usage is around 400MB, I still experience it.

I wasn't aware of other methods such as Remoty. My requirement (or at least goal), is to have the IDE running on Windows and the files residing in Linux.

That will be great if Remoty helps with this and allows usage of some of the other features. I'll check it out and report back, success or not.

cfreehill
CodeLite Curious

Post by cfreehill »

Hm. I'm not seeing Remoty as a plugin option. Maybe it's only for Linux?

eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Post by eranif »

Sorry for the late reply. remoty is available in later releases of CodeLite (15.0.5 and later)
And its for Windows / Linux and macOS

Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread