Building codelite with codelite: stuck at windres invocation

CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
eutron
CodeLite Curious

Building codelite with codelite: stuck at windres invocation

Post by eutron »

Hello, I'm new to what appears to be your excellent IDE and also somewhat new to the mingw toolset, and I'm having a small spot of problem building codelite:

https://codelite.svn.sourceforge.net/sv ... lite/trunk retrieved 3/23/09

with codelite, mingw, and wxwidgets as provided in:

codelite-1.0.2785-mingw3.4.5-wx2.8.7.exe

After manually fixing up the include and linker paths to add the appropriate wxwidget directories, all of the sources compiled, several libraries are created in the lib/gcc_lib subdirectory, a number of plugin dlls are created in Runtime/plugins and then I reach this error and the build stalls:

Code: Select all

windres -i "C:/projex/codelite/LiteEditor/code_parser.rc" --use-temp-file --define __WXMSW__ --define __UNICODE__ --include-dir C:\wxWidgets-2.8.7\lib\gcc_dll\mswu --include-dir C:\wxWidgets-2.8.7\include --define WXUSINGDLL  --include-dir C:\projex\codelite\LiteEditor   -o ./Debug/code_parser.rc.o
c:\MinGW-3.4.5\bin\windres.exe: CreateProcess (null): No such file or directory
Running the following line from the command line successfully compiles the resource file:

C:\TEMP>mkdir Debug
C:\TEMP>windres -i "C:/projex/codelite/LiteEditor/code_parser.rc" --use-temp-file --define __WXMSW__ --define __UNICODE__ --include-dir C:\wxWidgets-2.8.7\lib\gcc_dll\mswu --include-dir C:\wxWidgets-2.8.7\include --include-dir C:\projex\codelite\LiteEditor --define WXUSINGDLL -o ./Debug/code_parser.rc.o
C:\TEMP>CD Debug
C:\TEMP>Debug>ls -alF
drw-rw-rw- 2 xi 0     0 2009-03-24 10:35 ./
drw-rw-rw- 4 xi 0     0 2009-03-24 09:20 ../
drw-rw-rw- 1 xi 0 50922 2009-03-24 10:36 code_parser.rc.o
I can also succesfully invoke it with --include-dir C:\wxWidgets-2.8.7\lib\gcc_dll\mswud

Some notes: this is on Windows XP, I've set the WXWIN and WXCFG environment variables, the mingw/bin directory is in my PATH, all required directories have space-less paths and filenames, and I've deleted the user-account=based TEMP and TMP and made a temp directory to point them (and TMPDIR) to. Also, I've placed wx-config in the windows directory. And it returns:

C:\TEMP>wx-config --rcflags
--use-temp-fille --define __WXMSW --define __WXDEBUG__ --define _UNICODE_ --include-dir C:\wxWidgets-2.8.7\lib\gcc_dll\mswud --include-dir c:\wxWidgets-2.8.7\include --define WXUSINGDLL
The only differences between my manual call of windres and the one issued by codelite seems to be argument order and some extra spaces emitted by codelite. I'd appreciate any insight into what I should alter in order to continue the build. Thank you!
denk_mal
CodeLite Enthusiast

Re: Building codelite with codelite: stuck at windres invocation

Post by denk_mal »

Hi eutron,

it seems that codelite couldn't find windres.exe
does c:\MinGW-3.4.5\bin\windres.exe exists? (last line of your first errormessage)

HTH
denk_mal
eutron
CodeLite Curious

Post by eutron »

Hello denk_mal and thank you for your assistance.

Actually I have three copies of windres floating around:

C:\MinGW-3.4.5\bin\windres.exe
C:\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin\windres.exe
C:\strawberry\c\bin\windres.exe

However only the first one I listed is on my PATH:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\MinGW32\bin

Doing a general search I also found a file named WINDRES.EXE-07D929FD.pf in C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch maybe this is a source of my problem. Going to look at what this is and if I can get rid of it.

Also will call windres.exe manually with the exact command line that codelite lists and record what error it returns (did this before but don't recall the results off hand, I just know it was a different error than what is listed in the original post).
eutron
CodeLite Curious

Post by eutron »

Compiled! Both debug and release versions. Cleaned the workspace, removed a cleared the windows/prefetch directory, reset my windows environment variables, rebooted, and haven't been able to recreate my earlier problem.

Just wanted to thank the developer for packaging up everything in such a way that a noob like me can compile it all! I'll surely have some questions about the internals as I get more familiar with the project.

Thanks again.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Post by eranif »

eutron wrote:I'll surely have some questions about the internals as I get more familiar with the project
And I will be happy to answer them

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread