[12.0.0] windows and pipes

CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
codegen
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

[12.0.0] windows and pipes

Post by codegen »

Is there any way of having the output of a program piped to another process on the Windows version 12.0.0?

I used codelite 10.0.5 last fall to teach an introductory course in C programming to first year engineering students. In one of the labs we use some primitive graphics. Since the students have not yet learned data structures, I use a separate program we have written that takes simple graphics commands from stdin and draws them in a separate window. The students write a program that sends the graphics commands to stdout using printf. In 10.0.5, if we set the program arguments (project settings -> general) to specify a pipe (e.g. "| C:\QDLWin\QDL.exe") this worked fine in 10.0.5, as long as we used the built-in terminal emulator. It did not work for the default terminal.

I was looking at 12.0.0 in preparation for this fall. It seems that the built-in terminal emulator is no longer available (it is greyed out), and using a pipe as a program argument does not work with the default terminal. It works fine on OS X (version 12.0.0) with the default settings (about 40% of our students are mac users), but I can't seem to get it to work for Windows.

Thanks for any help.