MacOS LLVM/LLDB after April 2017 Apple update?

CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
js98
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

MacOS LLVM/LLDB after April 2017 Apple update?

Post by js98 »

I have been using Codelite with llvm on a MacBook pro and Mac Mini (currently MacOS 10.12) successfully for several months. The other day Apple release an update "Command Line Tools (MacOS Sierra version 10.12) for Xcode 8.3" which seems to have broken the interface with lldb. Previously I was able to debug with breakpoints without issue, now the the debugger launches an empty terminal window and any breakpoints are never triggered. Fortunately, I hadn't upgraded on the MacBook yet and it still works. I have checked settings and the project preferences.

Has anyone else encountered a problem, anyone have the new command line tools working?
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: MacOS LLVM/LLDB after April 2017 Apple update?

Post by eranif »

Hi,

I am using OSX 10.11, however, I only have one Mac machine. Upgrading it to 10.12 will probably break the compatibility with 10.11
So I am in a dilemma here: which version should be supported ? (OSX 10.11 or 10.12...) - I don't have the answer for this.

First, this is how CodeLite interacts with LLDB:
CodeLite starts a process named "codelite-lldb" (it is located under CodeLite.app/Contents/MacOS/codelite-lldb)

Now, do this:

1. From Settings->LLDB Settings->Advanced->Proxy type, and select the option: "Remote proxy process over TCP/IP"
2. Open a Terminal.app window and set the environment variable LLDB_DEBUGSERVER_PATH to point to the executable "debugserver" (CodeLite provides one for you under: CodeLite.app/Contents/MacOS/debugserver)
3. Launch codelite-lldb from a terminal like this: codelite-lldb -t <IP>:<PORT> (the IP and PORT should matches the ones you have under "Settings->LLDB Settings->Advanced" page)
4. If started correctly, you should get verbose output in the Terminal.app window.
5. Attempt to debug your code - and you should get a hint why it does not work for you

Let me know how it works out for you
HTH
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
js98
CodeLite Curious

Re: MacOS LLVM/LLDB after April 2017 Apple update?

Post by js98 »

Thanks for the response. I think in the end it was my error. After going through all the tools settings and making sure everything was up to date, things are working again. I thought I was pretty thorough before I posted to the site, but apparently not thorough enough. Thanks for your excellent IDE, it is very helpful in the cross platform Linux/Mac/Windows world I work in.