CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
Modem Man
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Codelite 10 crashes from wxmsw310u_gcc_cl.dll

Post by Modem Man »

Hi folks,

I just updated my so-far-well-working CodeLite 9.0.0 to 10.0.0 - from now on it crashes just the moment I select another code tab than the one is currently shown. OS is Windows 10, with all recent updates.

My CodeLite update settings have been "okay to all yestions" and "yes, keep my old settings".
Next, I installed 9.0.0 back again, because it worked for months (but not used since Xmas).

Hmm ... it's the same problem there:
Unhandled exception at 0x0000000069A6BF96 (wxmsw310u_gcc_cl.dll) in codelite.exe: 0xC000041D: Ausnahmefehler während eines Benutzerrückrufs.
("Ausnahmefehler während eines Benutzerrückrufs." is German for "Exception while performing a user callback")

It is possible that any other program, I installed last days, made some change on my PC, but I have no idea where to check 1st...

Any ideas?
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: Codelite 10 crashes from wxmsw310u_gcc_cl.dll

Post by eranif »

Delete the folder

Code: Select all

%appdata%\CodeLite
and try again
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
Modem Man
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Modem Man »

Hi Eran,

I did what you requested. And now I also deleted my old CodeLite Installation before deleting %appdata%\CodeLite and freshly reinstalled "codelite-amd64-10.0.1.exe" (from SourceForge), with "no, don't keep my settings". Inside the wizard, I selected the also freshly installed "tdm64-gcc-5.1.0-2.exe" as compiler (32/64 bit).
After the wizard, I created a new workspace, then a new project of Template "Console", "Simple Executeable (gcc)" - then it hung for ~30 Seconds, then crashed, offered me to use the VS2015 debugger (but my 30 days trial period is expired).

Code: Select all

Unhandled exception at 0x0000000069A6B006 (wxmsw310u_gcc_cl.dll) in codelite.exe: 0xC000041D: Ausnahmefehler während eines Benutzerrückrufs.
I can restart CodeLite again, and navigate through Workspace, project, ... until I select a .cpp file - then it crashes again, reproduceable.

Since I believe in CodeLite since years, I'm quite sure the problem is only at my place. But I urgently need some hints to fix it. Some years before I had a dependency viewer tool which dumped which DLLs are loaded from what location ... can't remember the name, but this could help here - do you know such tool recently? In Linux I would use strace or ld, but here?

I checked my notes. Between last successfully usage of CodeLite and todays crashes, I installed "Visual Studio Code" and uninstalled that crap after a day, then I installed and used "Visual Studio 2015" (which is expired now) and the "raspberry-gcc4.9.2-r4.exe" from http://gnutoolchains.com/raspberry, surely together with Linux for Visual Studio https://aka.ms/vslinuxext. Could this made some things broken?

Any further hints?
Modem Man
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Modem Man »

I have a Screenshot with call Stack codelite.exe -> libplugin_sdku.dll -> wxmsw310u_gcc_cl.dll
Codelite_10.01_crash_callstack.png
Its quite useless for me, without symbol files, but someone else might see it?

Is it very copmplicated to self build codelite under windows?
I just tried it under linux some years ago, but to be honest: I failed, because I used a rather old ubuntu and had to backport a lot of packages, so I stopped that.
What I want to say: I assume, I could build codelite from source, on the command line, with MinGW gcc 4 or 5, with symbol/map files by myself - if there is at least a medium quality tutorial :) then I would be able to locate the crash point ...

I there a tutorial for WinX self built CodeLite?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Just try running CodeLite under debugger (gdb)
Debugging it with VS won't do u much help

I really can't help you much as it's definitely a local issue
Modem Man
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Modem Man »

eranif wrote:Just try running CodeLite under debugger (gdb)
I'll build it with GCC5 with debug symbols. Running it under gdb without embedded debug symbols or without separate symbol files would be also not helpful, you know.

I'll now switch over to the "build codelite ..." thread https://forums.codelite.org/viewtopic.p ... 836#p15836 since this documents the most I need next.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

You might also want to look at this:

http://codelite.org/Developers/Windows
Modem Man
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Modem Man »

nothing figured out so far.
CL runs on my 2nd PC with same WinX - major difference is: I never installed MSVC2015 nor cygwin nor MS Visual Studio for Linux on that PC.
Still trouble with building wxWidgets for Codelite "the right way".

Inside wx there is plenty of contradictory orders about how to setup and build.

I'll continue that path from time to time. Nothing urgent, but if anybody has a sample history / script / ... from how he compiles wxWidgets for CodeLite under Windows X, it would be nice to share the recipes here.

THX,
MM
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

This is how I build wxWidgets for Windows:

http://codelite.org/Developers/BuildingWxWidgetsWin