CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
piebru57
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: CL 6.1 on Ubuntu 14.10, loses many keystrokes, unusable

Post by piebru57 »

Wow, great!
The first 2 minutes typing confirms the key loss issue is solved here.
I will do more testing tomorrow.

When repackaging, please consider to solve also the libwx* dependancies issue, its easy to reproduce it with the stock 14.10 Ubuntu Live ISO, both using dpkg and the CL repos.

Cheers,
Piero
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Post by DavidGH »

The first 2 minutes typing confirms the key loss issue is solved here.
Good. Thanks for testing!
When repackaging, please consider to solve also the libwx* dependancies issue, its easy to reproduce it with the stock 14.10 Ubuntu Live ISO, both using dpkg and the CL repos.
Automatically fixed, because I've used an 'unofficial' wx this time. The previous package didn't, and since the code-line that removed the unneeded dependency searched for 'unofficial'... :roll:
Alix
CodeLite Curious

Post by Alix »

Wonderful! Everything fixed for me, no more keystrokes lost, and the typing speed is very fast and comfortable.

Many many thanks for the effort and the excellent work :)
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Post by DavidGH »

Everything fixed for me
Everything? What about backspace etc in project settings?
Many many thanks for the effort and the excellent work
All part of the service ;) .
Alix
CodeLite Curious

Post by Alix »

DavidGH wrote:Everything? What about backspace etc in project settings?
Apologies. The keystrokes loss is corrected, but the backspace etc in project settings is not; I had forgotten that test, my mistake.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Alix wrote:but the backspace etc in project settings is not;
Yes, this seems to be a wxWidgets issue - which is worth reporting it to the wxWidgets tracker / mailing list

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
Alix
CodeLite Curious

Post by Alix »

After some further tests with the backspace in the project settings, it seems that the backspace IS working. It simply takes very long. When I type something, then issue some backspaces, then activate another application and switch back to Codelite, I can see the effects of my backspaces and the edition seems to revert to normal... until the next backspace problem. Another thing I notice is that, when the problem happens, the mouse cursor does no longer appear when I hover over the field.

A very similar problem occurs on my computer with gedit 3.10.4 (the currently standard version with Ubuntu 14.10) when, during edition, I switch between normal typing and issuing commands like copy/paste with the mouse or with keyboard shortcuts. There, too, the edition becomes very slow, even hangs, and the mouse cursor disappears when hovering over the edition window. There, too, switching to another application and back to gedit (or just saving the file with Ctrl-S) cures the problem and all the (seemingly lost) editions are displayed at once. Using 'pluma', the MATE fork for gedit, this problem never occurs and edition works like a charm.

Therefore I think that the problem with backspace in the settings has probably nothing to do with Codelite, but rather with Ubuntu 14.10 itself.
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Post by DavidGH »

Therefore I think that the problem with backspace in the settings has probably nothing to do with Codelite, but rather with Ubuntu 14.10 itself.
Indeed, especially as the same code works fine on other ubuntu versions, and on debian/fedora/openSUSE...

Thank you for mentioning about gedit. That has saved me a lot of testing time :) .
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Post by DavidGH »

Further information, and a fix:

The bug(s) affect gedit and geany, as well as e.g. the wx 'text' sample; it doesn't happen in the non-gtk app kwrite, nor does it happen in the wxX11 'text' sample. FWIW I failed to reproduce it in a minimal gtk app either.

Googling gedit produced various results which seemed relevant, and finally a likely cause. It seems that ibus and gtk don't like each other. If you don't need ibus (and most users probably don't) you can turn it off in your Settings; then either reboot or else run: sudo killall ibus-daemon to make the setting take effect.

This works for me for the backspace etc problem. I reinstalled the original, wx3.0.1-built, CodeLite and it seems that it works for the missing-keystrokes issue too, though it's hard to be sure as that problem was very intermittent for me. It would be ideal if one of you could reinstall the original and check with ibus off. It's no longer in the repo, but I've uploaded it here. (Again this won't run with an incompatible wxCrafter present, so you'll need temporarily to remove that first.)

For the record, the ibus-mentioning bug-report (see the last few posts); other reports include this, this and this.
Alix
CodeLite Curious

Post by Alix »

DavidGH wrote:It would be ideal if one of you could reinstall the original and check with ibus off.
Thanks for the information. I have disabled ibus, rebooted, uninstalled Codelite and reinstalled the previous version (6.1-1). After a brief test, both problems (keystrokes missing and backspace in settings) are SOLVED! Also, gedit seems now to function properly. I also had the same problem with RapidSVN (quite an old application), and there the problem also disappears!

I will continue to use the previous Codelite version 6.1-1 for a while, just in case, but as far as I can see, the problem is solved.

Congratulations!