some more thoughts (qui vallent ce qu'ils vallent et t'en feras ce que tu voudras:):
- If your plugin exports the Lua VM symbols then it'd be possible to dynamically import other Lua libraries like luasocket, luasqlite (maybe to read from the ctags dbase), Bam (lua's make-style build system), luaposix, luaGL (for overlays), luagraphviz (for callgraphs), whatever
- in general if you keep your bindings modular it'd be easier for you and others to add functionality. I.e the CL plugin would be just the core Lua VM, and your CL bindings are separate Lua modules loaded with require(). If someone absolutely wants a UI they could write it with wxLua, say (though IMHO it's a monster)
- maybe you can use one global CLevents Lua table to hook into, that'd save you having to add individual event functions and keep the API smaller
- if you don't know it, check out Lua FFI http://luajit.org/ext_ffi.html
, it's from the LuaJIT team. I never used it but the idea to bind Lua directly to binaries seems promising, it may save you some time.
- it'd be great if you could bundle the makefiles for the plugin & libraries, that way it's easy for others (like me) to contribute, say if I wanted to quickly add a binding to a new CL event.
Eran - can we pls already have a LuaCL plugin forum so we can move our conversation there and stop making noise here?
thx & cheers,
ps: sorry if I come off over-excited, I told you I'd be very