Post here wxCrafter related issues / features / bugs
marcusadamski
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: c++

basic control and button bar frame

Post by marcusadamski »

Hi all,

I'm looking to make an application in Python, and trying out wxCrafter as the xrc generator.

I'm experimenting by designing a basic multiline text control, at the top of the frame, with two buttons at the bottom (say OK, Cancel). Like most dialogues, I would like the two buttons on the right side of the frame.

For the right alignment of buttons initially I tried
- wxbox sizer, added wxtextcntrl, then a wxStdDialogueButtonSizer
-- I can then add one button to the btn sizer, but the second jumps to the top of the screen ?

- secondly, tried adding a wxfelxgridsizer, with 3 columns, zero rows. I added a spacer first, then two buttons
-- however I could only get the two buttons on left hand side, despite the spacer having proportion 1, and the buttons 0

- finally I used a horizontal box, added two buttons, then simply right aligned it.
-- this worked.

My question, what's the best approach to right align several buttons at the bottom of a frame (as I assume there are a few ways of doing this)?

Many thanks for any advice.
Marcus
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Re: basic control and button bar frame

Post by DavidGH »

Hi,
- wxbox sizer, added wxtextcntrl, then a wxStdDialogueButtonSizer
-- I can then add one button to the btn sizer, but the second jumps to the top of the screen ?
I don't use wxStdDialogueButtonSizers, but I vaguely recall bug like that. I might be that it would work in the real program (as opposed to the wxCrafter preview).
- secondly, tried adding a wxfelxgridsizer, with 3 columns, zero rows. I added a spacer first, then two buttons
-- however I could only get the two buttons on left hand side, despite the spacer having proportion 1, and the buttons 0
You needed to make the first column expandable with wxFlexGridSizer::AddGrowableRow.
- finally I used a horizontal box, added two buttons, then simply right aligned it.
That's what I normally do. Or you could have given it the wxEXPAND flag and added a wxSpacer first to take all the spare space.
My question, what's the best approach
Whatever works ;)

Regards,

David
Regards,

David
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Post by eranif »

marcusadamski wrote:-- I can then add one button to the btn sizer, but the second jumps to the top of the screen ?
This is a bug in wxWidgets. To fix this, you just need to assign the new button a different ID (by default, the newly added button has the wxID_OK ID)
Once new ID is set to the button, it will fix its position

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
marcusadamski
CodeLite Curious
IDE Question: c++

Post by marcusadamski »

Thanks David / Eran,

I found my mistake using the wxfelxgridsizer - although I added an initial spacer, I failed to assign it a 'size' in the properties. Setting 1,1 did the trick.

Regarding wxStdDialogueButtonSizer, but by adding buttons with different ID's still didn't work. But at least I have two other options.

Thanks very much for your quick help. I think I'll go with the flexgrid and spacer approach, as it obvious from the layout tree in the designer, what's going on.

Best
Marcus