Post here wxCrafter related issues / features / bugs
ColinTaylor
CodeLite Expert
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Feedback on [BETA] wxcrafter

Post by ColinTaylor »

This is already a very competent piece of software. Comments as follows

1. Missing wx components (at least I couldn't find them ;) )
a. wxStyledTextCtrl
b. wxStdDialogButtonSizer
c. wxTaskBarIcon (not certain if this should be classed as a GUI component)

2. Feature requests
a. Ability to add / customize my own controls? (e.g. a component derived from a standard wxWidget component)
b. Ability to import/convert RAD projects created in (e.g.) wxFormBuilder?
c. Be nice to be able to resize the gui window (can set it via Size option but dragging nicer)
d. Ability to copy+paste items via the treeview
e. Ability to rename items via the treeview
f. No control over public/protected/private for gui items? (at least I can't see it anywhere)

3. Bugs (most significant first)
a. Nested BoxSizers not respecting the proportion setting? (example project created and attached)
b. Cannot set gui items to be invisible
c. Add a statusbar and can drag it, but doing so resizes the whole codelite window
d. Editing the bitmap image for a wxTool item makes the image vanish. (Preview shows it ok)
e. Cannot set initial state of checkbox
f. 2 buttons on the Containers tab do nothing and have no tooltip

4. Irritations (working but annoying me in some way)
a. MessageBox after code generation (simple status bar message would suffice)
b. Location of Save Project and Generate code buttons is non-intuitive
c. Can select items from the GUI representation, but cannot delete them (have to do this from the tree control)
d. Similarly would be nice to be able to connect events via the gui (e.g. right click the component)
e. Shortcuts would be handy (e.g. ctrl+d = delete, and many more!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: Feedback on [BETA] wxcrafter

Post by eranif »

ColinTaylor wrote:Nested BoxSizers not respecting the proportion setting? (example project created and attached)
I can't see anything wrong in the project. Note that unlinke wxFormBuilder the sizers do not have stretch + proportion = 1 by default

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Hi,

Since you provided a long list, I will try to address them one by one (probably not all in one post). I will start with the bugs since to me, this is whats important (adding new controls is an easy task..)
ColinTaylor wrote:Nested BoxSizers not respecting the proportion setting? (example project created and attached)
Llke I mentioned in my previous post - I think its the defaults that consued you: unlike wxFB, wxcrafter sizers do not have the "strectch" and proportion set to 1 by default (maybe I should change that...)
ColinTaylor wrote:Cannot set gui items to be invisible
Indeed this is missing - I will add it to the todo list
ColinTaylor wrote:Add a statusbar and can drag it, but doing so resizes the whole codelite window
I cant make it happen here i.e. I can't drug the status bar
ColinTaylor wrote:Editing the bitmap image for a wxTool item makes the image vanish. (Preview shows it ok)
Hmm, again can't make it happen here ... any suggestions on how to reproduce?
Although, I usually double click on the "Bitmap File" entry and select an entry from the file system (double click opens a file picker)
ColinTaylor wrote:Cannot set initial state of checkbox
You can - from the "Properties" view. check the "Value" field. Or double clicking it also works
ColinTaylor wrote:2 buttons on the Containers tab do nothing and have no tooltip
All buttons are functioning. Unlike wxFB and other tools out there, wxCrafter disables tools unless you can actually place the control on the selected item in the tree
For example, unless you add a wxSplitterWindow, the button next to it will remain "disabled" (the button next to it is a "wxSplitterWindow Page")

Also, the wizard page is enabled only when a wxWizard is selected in the tree view and so on and forth.
Also, windows does not display tooltips for disabled buttons...

Eran
ColinTaylor
CodeLite Expert

Post by ColinTaylor »

What settings do I need so that VerticalSizer2 remains fixed size, whilst VerticalSizer1 resizes as the frame is resized? I haven't yet consulted the doc'n for the settings wxGROW and wxSTRETCH_NOT but trying various settings didn't get the behaviour I was looking for.
ColinTaylor
CodeLite Expert

Post by ColinTaylor »

Here's how I get the odd statusbar behaviour. I'm running this on Windows 7, BTW

1. Create a new project (wxwidgets + wxcrafter Frame)
2. Just add a statusbar component.
3. Hold left mouse down over the usual 'size grip' thingy and move the mouse in horizontal direction.

For me, the whole codelite IDE window resizes as I move the mouse horizontally.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Attached is wxcp file that does what you want
wxcrafter.wxcp
Basically, in the wxCrafter toolbar, click on the green arrows icons for HorzSizer1 and leave unclicked teh HorzSizer2

FYI: some of codelite's dialogs are also created using wxCrafter, e.g. "New Project", "Svn Commit" and others (not to mention that most of wxCrafter UI was created with wxCrafter)
Eran
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ColinTaylor
CodeLite Expert

Post by ColinTaylor »

Here's how I can reproduce the vanishing toolbar bitmap

1. Create a new project (wxwidgets + wxcrafter Frame)
2. Add a tool to the toolbar
3. Simply double click (as you suggest) the bitmap file attribute and select a BMP file (I tried to attach it but that extension type isn't permitted. Anyway its a simple 16x16 windows bitmap)
4. The GUI doesn't show the bitmap, but the preview does
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

ColinTaylor wrote:For me, the whole codelite IDE window resizes as I move the mouse horizontally.
Ah, nice one!

I did not see it until now, because codelite was maximized for me (when maximized, you don't see it)
I will fix it :D

Eran
jfouche
CodeLite Guru

Post by jfouche »

Hi Eran,

I had some time to test this plugin, and here are some remarks :
- The UI workspace (eg : the WYSIWYG view) may be bigger. I think the widgets toolbar should be smaller. Maybe an option is to put the widgets toolbar as a new frame, and let the user manage it.
- The sizer are invisibles. On wxFB, the sizers was underline in red, which was very helpfull.
- You can cut a part of the view, but you can copy it.
- When you create a new wxcp file, you can't see anymore what was the generation file choosen(and you can't change it). Moreover (but it's probably a small bug), the generated files are not added to the project in the workspace view.
- Using shortcuts to move up/down the controls in the sizers was also great on wxFB. In general, some shortcuts are missing.
- It's surprising to see that "cut" menu is available, but "copy" isn't in the popup menu.
- In the wxCrafter tab, it would be cool to have the ability to manage multiple wxcp files.
- A way to create custom widgets is missing.

In my opinion, the very good point of this plugin is that CodeLite become a full RAD/EDI (like C::B & wxSmith, but I don't like the wxSmith way to edit the generated file). The usability is good, and with the code generation tools (as describe in the wiki), it's really simple to create a UI and run it.

I must admit I'm a little bit sad about the licence of this plugin, but I fully understand why you do that way.
Jérémie
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

jfouche wrote:I must admit I'm a little bit sad about the licence of this plugin, but I fully understand why you do that way.
I am actually considering changing my approach to something that allows more users to have access to this plugin.

For example:
Make it free for all with some missing functionality (that can be achieved even without the "full version", but it you will need to work harder)
The missing functionality can be something like:

- Defining custom controls (this is something I am working on) the ability to add custom controls and define them as templates. For example, atm, in wxFB you need to fill like 5 / 6 lines each time you want to add new control
my idea is to create those controls once, store them and by a single click they will be added
- Template projects (Similar to to codelite's project template concept, you can create a dialog with buttons and image and then save it as the base for future dialogs)
- Some advanced controls (wxWebView, wxInfoBar and some other non trivial controls that are rarely used)

Eran