Integration of code generation tool with CL

Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
marfi
CodeLite Expert

Integration of code generation tool with CL

Post by marfi »

Hi Eran,
I'm thinking about integration of my new (now pre-pre-pre alpha ;) ) code generation tool with CL. Nowadays it is aimed to generation of a source code for small embedded systems and it is able to produce ANSI C and Python source code from state charts (simple state charts and hierarchical state charts are supported now), but I plan to implement also support for other UML diagrams (class diagram, use case diagrams, ...) and C++ language. My tool is prepared for it and it shouldn't take a lot of time. The tool is called CodeDesigner (CD) and it uses wxWidgets and my graphics framework wxShapeFramework.

I'd like to ask you what integration API and interprocess comunication abbilities offer CL's plugin system. I think that the easiest way how to integrate CD with CL is in similar way how the CL integrates with wxFB, but it would be nice to have some more info produced by the CL (like code tags) available. Is there any documentation of CL's plugin system on the net? And the most important question: what do you think about this idea? ;)

Best regards
Michal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: Integration of code generation tool with CL

Post by eranif »

Hi,

Sounds like a great idea to me.

About Plugins's API:

IN general there is no documentation for the plugins, however, codelite has a wizard for creating a plugin in 3 clicks (plugins -> gizmos -> new codelite plugin)

Once you got the skeleton ready, the best way to learn the API is by looking in the 'Interface' project in codelite workspace.
Or look at other plugins source code

Ofcourse, you can always post here specific questions (or join channel #codelite at irc.freenode.net and we can discuss it online)

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
marfi
CodeLite Expert

Post by marfi »

Hi,
I tried to build CL plugin project created by the wizard on Linux, but I received compiler error "error: ‘PLUGINS_DIR’ was not declared in this scope". I've checked project files from other plugins (SymbolView, wxFormBuilder,...) but there is no symbol 'PLUGINS_DIR' defined for a compiler. I've found it only in generated Makefile. What should I do to build the plugin project?

Regards
Michal
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Post by eranif »

Nice catch!

When I added this new macro, I only updated the generated makefile (using the configure script) - but forgot about the templates.

I will fix this as soon as I will get home

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread