Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
lehin
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Codelite crashes under Wayland

Post by lehin »

Good day!

The Codelite (10.0.2) always crashes running under GTK with Wayland backend, just after a mouse wheel has been used in a source editor window.
My environment: Fedora 25 Linux, GNOME 3.22.2 desktop, Wayland backend, Codelite 10.0.2.

This is a problem with wxWidgets running under Wayland compositor. The corresponding commit (in the wxWidgets main development tree) is here: https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/pull/320.

I've backported this commit onto wxWidgets 3.1.0-2 (this version is used by Codelite 10.0.2). I suggest a patch that corrects this behaviour, and I also attach .spec-file in order to build wxWidgets RPM to use the staff under Fedora Linux.

Best regards,
Alexey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: Codelite crashes under Wayland

Post by eranif »

If you have a patch that fixes this problem, I think that the proper place for this is the wxWidgets development mailing list. They are very responsive to these kinds of bugs (especially when they come with patches ;))

However, since we use our own wxWidgets builds, David might apply this patch to this local sources before building wxWidgets. But this is up to him ...
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Post by DavidGH »

Hi Alexey,

Thanks for the information, and many thanks for the patch. I hadn't noticed a problem here; however that's because my fedora builds are on virtualbox guests, and apparently virtualbox can't cope with wayland. So I've been testing only on X11.

I've now persuaded fedora to install onto a real hard-drive (why does it need an efi boot partition there, but not on virtualbox?) and I confirm the crash. It seems to happen mostly/only in editors, so it may be a wxStyledTextCtrl issue. Anyway:

I've built patched wxGTK rpms, and CodeLite rpms on those. The wayland crash no longer happens, and I'm uploading them now.

Regards,

David
lehin
CodeLite Curious

Post by lehin »

eranif wrote:If you have a patch that fixes this problem, I think that the proper place for this is the wxWidgets development mailing list. They are very responsive to these kinds of bugs (especially when they come with patches ;))

However, since we use our own wxWidgets builds, David might apply this patch to this local sources before building wxWidgets. But this is up to him ...
Eran
This patch is actually a backported commit from wxWidget's master. So I have posted the patch in order to apply it exactly to Codelite builds. So thanks for the job! ))
lehin
CodeLite Curious

Post by lehin »

DavidGH wrote:I've built patched wxGTK rpms, and CodeLite rpms on those. The wayland crash no longer happens, and I'm uploading them now.
Hi David!

Thank you very much for your job!

P.S. There is one more glitch in wxWidgets Scintilla widget (as it seems) running under Wayland (as usual :) ) - text entry isn't working just after Backspace (and possible Del) key has been used. I'll probably try to understand the problem and fix it in a nearest future. :)

Best regards,
Alexey.
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Post by DavidGH »

P.S. There is one more glitch in wxWidgets Scintilla widget (as it seems) running under Wayland (as usual :) ) - text entry isn't working just after Backspace (and possible Del) key has been used.
Ah, see this recent thread. He uses fedora too, so presumable wayland. And that explains why I couldn't reproduce it!
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Post by DavidGH »

P.S. There is one more glitch in wxWidgets Scintilla widget (as it seems) running under Wayland
I've just tested and now have the same problem there. It only happens in an editor (a wxStyledTextCtrl), not in a normal wxTextCtrl. It also happens in the wxWidgets 'stc' sample which demonstrates wxStyledTextCtrl.

However it doesn't happen in SciTE built against either gtk2 or 3. I've checked their latest version, 3.7.4 and also the ones used in wx git, 3.7.2, and wx3.0.2, 3.2.1. None of these SciTEs had the problem.

So it seems to be a wx bug, not a scintilla or a CodeLite one. Do you want to try to fix it, or shall I report it?
lehin
CodeLite Curious

Post by lehin »

DavidGH wrote:
P.S. There is one more glitch in wxWidgets Scintilla widget (as it seems) running under Wayland
I've just tested and now have the same problem there. It only happens in an editor (a wxStyledTextCtrl), not in a normal wxTextCtrl. It also happens in the wxWidgets 'stc' sample which demonstrates wxStyledTextCtrl.

However it doesn't happen in SciTE built against either gtk2 or 3. I've checked their latest version, 3.7.4 and also the ones used in wx git, 3.7.2, and wx3.0.2, 3.2.1. None of these SciTEs had the problem.

So it seems to be a wx bug, not a scintilla or a CodeLite one. Do you want to try to fix it, or shall I report it?
Excuse me for my silence. Unfortunately I'm too busy now, but I'll try to investigate the problem today or tomorrow. Thank you for the additional information you have provided, I think it will help me. ))

It seems to be a really wx bug, but... One question: do I have understood right that the bug is not still fixed in a recent wx version?