Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
Jungle
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: c++

Issues and suggestions

Post by Jungle »

Issues.

1. Startup time = 6 - 10 minutes. Yes, i have old hardware, but anyway it is too much.

2. I'm not sure about conditions, but in x64 version I'm unable to choose Release target in Project options. Dropdown list contains only Debug item.

3. It seems that CodeLite doesn't expand macroses (like $(ProjectName)) in Project Settings > Debugger > Startup commands. E.g. i have to pass

Code: Select all

file my_test_project.elf
to arm-none-eabi-gdb.exe. If i write just project output filename of its full path then everything is ok, but if i write

file $(ProjectName).elf
debugger doesn't recognize it.

Btw, there is a mix of slashes and backslashes as path delimiters. E.g. look at the Available Macros window (attached). Some paths contains slashes while some have backslashes.

Suggestions

0. Reduce startup time

1. On startup CodeLite should check for commandline.txt file existence near itsef. If the file doesn't exist or it is empty, default startup parameters should be used. Otherwise startup params should be taken from the file.

The reason? E.g. i've created startup file:

start codelite.exe --datadir=%~dp0\.profile
After very first setup CL restarted itself and of course created new settings in default location. So suggested way of starting up may at least solve 'portability' problem - no launchers, no scripts. In fact this file not necessarily should only contain command line params. The idea is that CL should always try to load and apply some basic params from a certain startup file (its name should be hardcoded and available somewhere in the FAQs).

2. Add new settings:
Path delimiter - edit field where a user can set defaul path delimiter to e.g. \ or /
Double path delimiter - checkbox for toggling double delimiters in paths. Some apps (e.g. arm-none-eabi-gdb :roll: ) require double delimiters, e.g.

"x:\\some\\path\\to\\my\\executable"
Or Path delimiter may take double delimiter - to reduce settings.

3. [Optionally] expand all path macroses and sequences to full paths. E.g.:

Intermediate Folder = "./Debug"
Expanded $(ProjectPath)/$(IntermediateDirectory)/$(ProjectName) = "x:/full/path/to/project/directory/debug/projectname"
respecting path delimiters of course.

4. Add new path macros $(ProjectOutputFileFullName) or/and $(OutFullName).

---
CodeLite v9.1 x32/x64; prebuilt installer; Win7 x32/x64 Pro; TDM-GCC-32/64; GCC ARM Embedded v5-2015-q4-major
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Re: Issues and suggestions

Post by eranif »

Jungle wrote:1. Startup time = 6 - 10 minutes. Yes, i have old hardware, but anyway it is too much.
Did you try v9.1.1 ?

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
Jungle
CodeLite Curious

Post by Jungle »

eranif wrote:Did you try v9.1.1 ?
I can't find a link to 32-bit version of 9.1.1. Have no 64-bit OS at the moment.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Only 64 bit installers for weekly builds, sorry. But you did mentioned that you are using 64 bit so I suggested.

Eran
Jungle
CodeLite Curious

Post by Jungle »

I've tested 9.1.0 and 9.1.1 at work

start ~ 7 sec
close ~ 3-7 sec

start ~ 2 sec
close ~ 3-7 sec
So if 9.1.1 starts up 3 times faster, then on my home PC it could probably start up ~2-3 minutes.
Jungle
CodeLite Curious

Post by Jungle »

One more sad thing :(

I've created a project with some virtual folders structure and saved it as template. But when i create new project from that template, virtual folders structure is lost.

It would be great to keep virtual folders structure. And for a new project created from a template, physical structure identical to the virtual one should be created in the project folder.
Gibbon1
CodeLite Expert

Post by Gibbon1 »

The other problem is the relative directory structure isn't preserved either which means everything is converted to a flat structure. When I want to copy a project I just copy the whole thing somewhere else and delete the .clang and .codelite folders. It would be nice if codelite was smart enough to detect that a project has been moved to a different root directory and rebuild the clang tags, etc.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Gibbon1 wrote:.clang
The .clang folder is a relic from the past and is actually empty, I will remove it from the code

If you remove CodeLite workspace, the .codelite is automatically recreated

Eran