New CodeLite logo

Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
DoctorRover
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

New CodeLite logo

Post by DoctorRover »

The new CodeLite logo is great! I like it very much.
But at the moment, all sizes of the logo bitmaps are generated by downscaling the high-resolution 512x512 svg file. In my humble opinion, the resulting bitmaps are not perfect. For instance, have a look at the attached fragment of the desktop screenshot with CL icon.

So I made individual svg files for small resolutions of the logo with accurate pixel-alignment for each bitmap size. Please take a look at the comparison of these new bitmaps (on the left at the attached codelite-logo_demo.png) with automatically generated ones taken from the 'bitmaps' folder of the CL sources (on the right).

Eran, if you like them, I will provide you the svg and png files.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll if you're too young to die.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: New CodeLite logo

Post by eranif »

Can you please send the SVG files? (the png files are auto-generated using script)

Thanks
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
DoctorRover
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by DoctorRover »

OK. Eran, what is the best way to do it? Just send the files or by a pull request on GitHub?
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Does not matter ;)

If you choose to add them as pull request, add them under the 'svgs/' folder (please give them a distinctive name)

Eran
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

We are about to release 9.1, so this is a good time to send the updated logos ...

Thanks
Eran
DoctorRover
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by DoctorRover »

Eran, I offer my apology for the delay. I'm trying to do my best. I have updated codelite-logo.ico file making it multi-image including a number of bitmaps with different sizes. Now I'm modifying create-logo.sh script. I will make the pull request asap.
I'm sorry once again.

Alexey

P.S. The question. Do I get it right that the file LiteEditor/CMakeLists.txt is responsible for copying of codelite.png to standard locations in Linux during installation?

P.P.S. I have just made the pull request. It's number is #1106.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Thanks, I applied and then reverted it. I wrote the reason in the Pull Request
I created a new SVG file for lower-res images from scratch so there are no artifacts (see my comment on the pull request)
Eran
DoctorRover
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by DoctorRover »

Eran,

Actually, each of the svg files in my PR was not just a result of only scaling, instead each file was significantly worked up in order to make it perfectly pixel-aligned. Accurate pixel-alignment was made for each of these files individually. So there must be no any “artifacts”. If by “dark spots in the edges of the squares”, you mean semi-transparent corners of the squares, then this is not artifacts, it's just a result of pixelization of corner roundings. I have kept the roundings intentionally to preserve the initial concept of your logo – three rounded squares, each with outlining. For each svg file, I have modified the rounding radius to make it nice looking for every size of the logo. If you don't like the corner roundings for low-resolution icons, then it's very easy to correct by adjusting the rounding radius (setting it zero makes corners rectangular).
As far as I can see, the new low-resolution logo does not have neither corner roundings, nor outlinings of the squares, which (IMHO) makes this logo significantly different from its high-resolution original. If it's your intention, then it's OK of course... But it looks a bit strange to me.
In any case, to my mind, having only two svgs is not enough. The best way is to have an individual pixel-aligned icon for each resolution (as I initially offered). For example, have a look at any iconset like Humanity – in it, each icon generally has separate svgs for every resolution (16, 24, 32, 48, 64, etc...) So I think this is the right way.
I'm awfully sorry for expressing such thoughts. I didn't mean any offence. I just wish the best for CodeLite.

Alexey
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Hi,

I created a simple logo for the small version of it, see here:
I removed all shadows and round corners to make it "clear" on 16x16, 24x24 and 32x32

It seems clear to me now, see this commit:

https://github.com/eranif/codelite/comm ... f31d86d51b

If you still think we need another version of the SVG, please modify the "-low-res" SVG file

Thanks,
Eran
DoctorRover
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by DoctorRover »

Eran,
Yes, I can see the commit and I can see the new low-res logo.
If you find it clear, then let it be so... You are the Master :)
Will see how it's gonna look like in installed version. Right now (v9.0.7), it's not very good in both Ubuntu and Win.

One more thing, about ico file for Win. Do you intend to make a multi-image ico file? Without it, the Win version will suffer from the same drawback.

Alexey