Code Completion in Workspace File

Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
Yaakuro
CodeLite Enthusiast

Code Completion in Workspace File

Post by Yaakuro »

Hi Eranif

At the moment I am developing a CodeLite Project File Generator for Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) on GNU/Linux. Thx btw for the clean XML workspace/project file structure. CodeLite is quite impressive and I am using it for a long time already.
Now I am at a point where I have some sort of challenge. UE4 is a really gigantic project and so it is it's number of folders for the "intellisense/code completion" . At the moment I can put the code completion into the configurations section in the projects XML file. UE4 has at least 5 configurations and a lot projects so everything gets really extreme huge. For example UE4Editor project for CodeLite get's around 130mb with all the configurations and code completion. Without that code completion folders it works pretty good so far. Here my humble vid how it works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UchwVrdzqk.

Now my question is, I found that there is a code completion section in the Workspace. First I thought yeah that is cool. I can specify those code completion folder once per workspace which would make it totally work but I had to find out that the content is not stored in the *.workspace file. It's somewhere in the .codelite/UE4.workspace.username. That makes it almost impossible to write the code generator because that folder is make by CodeLite itself. I wished I could put those folders into the *.workspace file so to have more control what goes into the workspace/projects.
Maybe I am wrong then I would like to know if there is a way to move the code completion part into the *.workspace file? If not, can I convince you to think about it to move it into the *.workspace file? The only workaround would be to paste those folders manually in CodeLite itself which would be not so nice. (And I know that CodeLite can parse the whole workspace to get code completion but I like to put only projects that is relevant to the Game without including UE4Editor/UE4Game etc.. seen in the vid)

Cengiz (Yaakuro)
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: Code Completion in Workspace File

Post by eranif »

Everything is possible :)
Please submit it as a feature request on GitHub.
The easiest solution (for backward compatiblity) will be to add new checkbox on the CC page of the workspace that offers the user to store the CC entries in the .workspace or in the *user* .workspace file

https://github.com/eranif/codelite/issues/new

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
Yaakuro
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Yaakuro »

Oh cool, :D. I made the feature request. What do you think? Is it possible to get that in the next release of CodeLite :) ?

Cengiz (Yaakuro)
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Post by eranif »

The next release (due date: next 24 hours...) is already being packaged (codelite 8.0)
I see from the youtube video that you are using codelite from git, so it should be available in the coming week or so

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
Yaakuro
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Yaakuro »

Hi Eran

Oh cool that is super fast thx a lot :). Where can I check when and if it is already testable?

Cengiz (Yaakuro)