Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
Fox Mulder
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

minor feature request for CodeLite

Post by Fox Mulder »

Hi everyone,
im not registered at github yet, and I would ask if someone could request these features or even better implement them directly ;)
1.I would like if codelite would start in the last perspective I close it.
2.I would like if the toolbar could be hidden even if it is set to "single Toolbar"
3.I would like if the toolbar could be customizable in some way.
4.I would like if some of the options under "View" menu could be saved with the perspective. (toggle Navbar for example)
5.I would like if we would have a complete gray icon set. (same as classic but all greyed out)
6.It would be kind of cool if we could choose the color of the virtual folder. (I could build my own system, all headers goes in green one all text files goes in grey and it would be some kind of faster and comfortable to navigate the tree)
7.I had pulled a request some time ago to build the feature to create a real folder with the virtual one. Im not sure about the status of this request.
8.In my eyes it would be more efficient if you hide the title bar in the output window, cause it shows the same "output window" all the time anyway - same is for the "workspace view". It would be kind more clean and efficient space usage and it would looks more integrated, but I don't know if it is possible to implement it with wxWidgets, cause u need still to grab the windows if needed.
9.There is a caret line highlighting in codelite but its kind of annoying to eyes it would be still cool if you would have a caret line highlighter - so my idea is to highlight the line number only (I mean the space background where the line number shows up)

So that's it - its a hole bunch of features actually but as long as I cant contribute anything else to the codlite project I thought I could make a list of things I noticed which could make codelite more efficient and comfortable in its way of design and usability.
Thanks
I want to believe.
petah
CodeLite Expert
IDE Question: c++

Re: minor feature request for CodeLite

Post by petah »

but as long as I cant contribute anything else to the codlite project
What is it that's preventing you to contribute, exactly?

-- p
main: Debian Jessie x64 + custom wxTrunk
Fox Mulder
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Fox Mulder »

knowHow :D
I want to believe.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Fox Mulder wrote:I had pulled a request some time ago to build the feature to create a real folder with the virtual one. Im not sure about the status of this request.
This is implemented in 5.4 ( I think... or its in git head ). In anycase, when you create a virtual folder, you now have an option to create a real folder on the file system as well
Fox Mulder wrote:.I would like if we would have a complete gray icon set. (same as classic but all greyed out)
This does not require coding knowledge. To create new icon set, you should simple provide all icons you want.
checkout codelite sources, copy the folder: codelite-icons/ replace the icons with the ones you want and zip it again

See here:
https://github.com/eranif/codelite/tree ... lite-icons
BTW, I can understand that you are not familiar with codelite sources to implement new features, but why can't you register to github for submitting requests ... ?
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
Fox Mulder
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Fox Mulder »

This is implemented in 5.4 ( I think... or its in git head ). In anycase, when you create a virtual folder, you now have an option to create a real folder on the file system as well
Yep you can create a real folder, but if you delete it again in codelite the real folder is still there.(if you create and delete some more folders in a project lifetime, it can create a big mess on your directory). The second is that it would be nice to have a small hint from codelite about the type of folder. (Is it plain virtual or is it real on HD) As I said before, all plain virtual folder could be little darker or little brighter as a real one.
That's why I said I don't know the status of this feature.
This does not require coding knowledge. To create new icon set, you should simple provide all icons you want.
checkout codelite sources, copy the folder: codelite-icons/ replace the icons with the ones you want and zip it again
I have never created Icons but your right, that's something Im able to try on my own. I just need a software package for this, PS or maybe gimp.
BTW, I can understand that you are not familiar with codelite sources to implement new features, but why can't you register to github for submitting requests ... ?
The problem with these kind of registrations is the whole lot of spam mails you get after your registration- that is my problem with it - I still get spam mails from Source forge from my last feature request. (I already marked them as spam but the filter still puts some in my income folder) That's why I always try to avoid any registration.

In the end I just wants to say that I do not intend to stress you with these feature requests or to suggest a negative view on Codelite - (something like: " Oh damn it, there are so many features codelite lacks!" or so)
I just wants to help you with concrete proposals. Often people cry the hole day on a software without saying what they would change or how they would do it.
So cheers.

As a small contribution from my side I can provide my lexer coloring settings which are pretty good on eyes and looks decent for someone who like darker themes.
I Just hope that the font size and the font itself is in saved in the lexers file too, along with the colors.
You have to edit the Tag coloring settings as I did to get the same result. //see picture.
Preview.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I want to believe.
Jarod42
CodeLite Expert

Post by Jarod42 »

Fox Mulder wrote:
The problem with these kind of registrations is the whole lot of spam mails you get after your registration- that is my problem with it - I still get spam mails from Source forge from my last feature request. (I already marked them as spam but the filter still puts some in my income folder) That's why I always try to avoid any registration.
Note that you may have a special e-mail for that, to avoid to "pollute" your main address.