External Tags database: additional features

Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
KernelPanic
CodeLite Enthusiast

External Tags database: additional features

Post by KernelPanic »

Hi.
It seems that processing with tags databases is not full featured (IMHO).
It would be better to make it possible to activate more than one database in "Manage Tags Databases" window.

For example, I have tags database with included tags for c++ and wxWidgets-2.8 headers. Now I want to upgrade the wxWidgets library to 2.9 version. After that I need to create new external tags database and include tags for c++ and wxWidgets-2.9 from stratch, it's long process and I need to decide which part of c++ headers to include again.

Also I can install qt4.4 and want to include its tags to codelite, so I need to do the same operations again and to add qt-4.4 headers.

I offer to replace button "Set active" with button like "Activate" and to add button like "Deactivate" to this window with the corresponding features.

Now I can make independent external tags database for c++ only one time and so on for everyting else.
And if I upgrade my wxWidgets to version 2.9 (for example) I need just deactivate or remove the database for old 2.8 version and create independent one for version 2.9 and activate it.
I think it will be more usefull for programmers cause it keeps our time and adds big flexibility to your IDE.

Can you make something like that or this is too difficult to realize?
Although, I don't think that it's too difficult because your IDE works with too databases already (the external and workspace databases).

Thanks,
Alex
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: External Tags database: additional features

Post by eranif »

KernelPanic wrote:Can you make something like that or this is too difficult to realize?
Ofc, everything is feasible, the effort is what counts:)

I understand your problem, but 'selecting' and merging the results from 3 or more database will slow the code completion. I am now in a process which at the end, creating tags databases (especially the file parsing part) will be much faster.

Btw, did you know that you can create tags databases from the 'explorer' tab? (right click and select 'Add Tags...')
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
KernelPanic
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by KernelPanic »

eranif wrote:Btw, did you know that you can create tags databases from the 'explorer' tab? (right click and select 'Add Tags...')
Oh, no I didn't :oops: Thanks for reply :)
It's a good solution for my problem :)
But can I remove some paths from external database with the same easy way?

Alex
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

KernelPanic wrote:But can I remove some paths from external database with the same easy way?
Currently no. Please submit a feature request for this
Eran
KernelPanic
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by KernelPanic »

Ok, thanks a lot.
I'll do it later.
KernelPanic
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by KernelPanic »

eranif wrote:Please submit a feature request for this
Eran
Done :)
Last edited by KernelPanic on Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

KernelPanic wrote:Done
Implemented in SVN trunk: from the tags management pane, you can right click on the paths table and select 'Remote tags generated from this path'

Eran