Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
ian
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: c++

cmake

Post by ian »

Hi everyone

I saw that this issue is already discussed in some old posts and the conclusion was that it needs further development.

Well, I usually use the makefiles generated by codelite during the development state and I create CMakeLists.txt in order to distribute my software using cmake, which I personaly think it's by far a more convenient way to do this.

Would it be possible for codelite to optionaly generate CMakeLists for a project? Is such a feature planned for the near future?
I am not familiar with codelite source code/plugins api and I do not have deep knowledge of cmake build system, would it be hard/time consuming to write a related plugin myself?

Thanks & regards
Ian
Jarod42
CodeLite Expert
IDE Question: C++

Re: cmake

Post by Jarod42 »

I think that the right way is to modify CMake to generate codelite solution (as it does for Code::Blocks for example).

Note: Premake can generate (pure) codelite solution.
(by pure I mean that it doesn't call itself to build, contrary to CMake).
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Post by eranif »

ian wrote:Well, I usually use the makefiles generated by codelite during the development state and I create CMakeLists.txt in order to distribute my software using cmake, which I personaly think it's by far a more convenient way to do this
I too think that CMake is a wonderful tool (codelite itself is built using cmake from sources under Linux / Mac)

It is on my todo list ( I will need to publish this list someday on the wiki... )
What I had in mind was: one way conversion from codelite's project into CMake files.

My plan was to extend the newly created tool codelite-make (which currently exists in codelite 5.3, i.e. git head)
codelite-make currently can generate makefiles based on codelite's workspace and projects
The idea behind codelite-make is to allow users to ability to run nightly build using plain makefile without GUI as a requirement (you will still need to have codelite installed on the machine)
codelite-make does not require X server to be able to run (i.e. you can use it over plain SSH session)

With its infrastructure already completed, it should be relatively easy to export CMakeLists.txt file based on the workspace layout of codelite
I am planning on releasing codelite this weekend so I doubt i will be able to squeeze it in

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
ian
CodeLite Curious
IDE Question: c++

Post by ian »

Thanks, that's great. I'll be glad to see this implementation.