Build configurations?

Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
coder99
CodeLite Expert

Build configurations?

Post by coder99 »

I finally got back to CL and 2419. after getting the debug configuration building, I tried to build the 'Release' configuration.

I configured all of the various options in the project settings, but when I selected 'Release' at the top of the workspace view, it merrily went and built the 'Debug' version.

Why? and is there a way to build a release version? or is this a temporary limitation?

This issue got me to looking in the archive of this forum, but unfortunately, the forum search engine complained that my search terms (build release) were too common and so I have to ask more directly ;-)

The other question this raises in my mind: How are the configurations listed and/or editable under the "Configuration Manager" accessible for use in the workspace? Is this also a planned future feature, or have simply not caught on? ;-)

Win 10/11 64-bit, MSVC 2019/2022, wxWidgets 3.2.1, CodeLite 17.0 Mint 21.2

eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: Build configurations?

Post by eranif »

coder99 wrote:I configured all of the various options in the project settings, but when I selected 'Release' at the top of the workspace view, it merrily went and built the 'Debug' version.
This is because you did not associate the workspace configuration 'Release' with your project configuration 'Release'.
Open the configuration manager, set the 'Workspace configuration' to 'Release' and see what will be built for your project.

Read this article written by DavidGH:
http://codelite.org/LiteEditor/ConfigurationManager
coder99 wrote:Why? and is there a way to build a release version? or is this a temporary limitation?
Read the above article
coder99 wrote:Is this also a planned future feature
It is already there (from day 1)

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
coder99
CodeLite Expert

Post by coder99 »

Thank you for the quick reply.

I had read the article, but what confused me is the difference between MSVC and CL. I expected to see and be able to select all of the available project configurations in the workspace view pulldown as they are in the big configuration manager. That 'view' or configuration name is the only one readily visible and I expected that it would reflect the configuration I would be building when I click on the compile tool bar button.

In the way it seems to work, I really won't know which configuration is 'current' and will be built, without popping up the big dialog

Now that I have a better appreciation of how things work in this respect in CL, I probably will get used to it, but IMHO, it isn't intuitive :|

eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

coder99 wrote:In the way it seems to work, I really won't know which configuration is 'current' and will be built, without popping up the big dialog
If you mean you cant understand which project configuration is being built, then you have 3 ways:
1) In the build pane - it always states the project configuration's name
2) open the project settings, the value selected in the 'Configuration type' is the configuration which will get built
3) open the big dialog

Eran
coder99
CodeLite Expert

Post by coder99 »

Yes, that is true, but then what is the point of even having the pulldown with a heading "Selected Configuration" if it isn't necessarily so :-)

eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

coder99 wrote:Yes, that is true, but then what is the point of even having the pulldown with a heading "Selected Configuration" if it isn't necessarily so :-)
It is. It is indicating what is the selected workspace configuration, not the project. I think that you should open CodeLite's workspace and have a look at the amount of configurations / projects there - It will be too difficult to manage without this configuration manager

Eran
coder99
CodeLite Expert

Post by coder99 »

OK, that makes sense, I think :-)

It also explains for me some of the "strange" things that happened in compile because I was obviously compiling configuration which I had not configured properly since I was attempting to configure the 'wrong' configuration.

I'm sure it will have some implications I can't see right now, but it does get me on a workable path and that is all that counts right now. With a bit of time and practice I'll adjust my thinking to the different paradigm.

I have build project with MSVC a bit less complicated than CL - and will get back to it once I finish some smaller ones, and hopefully will be able to port it to CL - but I've never had reason or occasion to consider a mixed bag of release and debug executable/modules in one project, at least not without some conscious effort on my part ;-)