Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

codelite is moving to CMAKE

Post by eranif »

Hi,
FYI: I have started migrating codelite's build from the custom 'configure' script, to use the more standard tool - cmake
The migration will be completed in the coming days (you can already build codelite + all its plugins using cmake + install it)

I will update this topic once the migration is completed.
There is still work to be done under Mac and probably few fixes under Linux.

This migration only affects Linux / OSX builds *not* Windows

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
kira.backes
CodeLite Curious

Re: codelite is moving to CMAKE

Post by kira.backes »

Hello,

since is this is still a pinned topic but not updated in a long time I’d like to ask what’s the status of this?

rgds, Kira Backes
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

codelite is now using CMake for its build under Linux and OSX
Under Windows - you need codelite to build codelite (CMake does _not_ work well with wxWidgets built with MinGW)

From our wiki:

Building codelite under Windows
Building codelite under Linux
Mac OSX

Eran
Fox Mulder
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Fox Mulder »

How do you mean your statement Eran?
(CMake does work well with wxWidgets built with MinGW)
(I think you wanted to say "doesn't")
don't u recommend use cmake on windows at all or just to compile Codelite or for the wx library.
I also want to point out that Cmake 3 is on the way (rc3 right now).
Another question is how to use Cmake with Codelite and how it integrates with codelit. Is there a little documentation on this here somewhere . Can someone create a small helloWord example project and post it on wiki.
I never used Cmake or any other cousins of it and I don't even know how to start using it.
Im also looking forward for the new CodeLite 6 release :ugeek: (Can you tell something about the release date :roll: :oops: :lol: )
Im really happy with your work btw. and I go completely without VS since half a Year or so. Im not a pro indeed but anyway.
Thanks
I want to believe.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Fox Mulder wrote:(I think you wanted to say "doesn't")
Yes, I fixed my original post
Fox Mulder wrote:don't u recommend use cmake on windows at all or just to compile Codelite or for the wx library.
No, only for wxWidgets based applications that uses MinGW
Fox Mulder wrote:I also want to point out that Cmake 3 is on the way (rc3 right now).
Another question is how to use Cmake with Codelite and how it integrates with codelit.
I know, if you look closely on the contributors for CMake 3 - you will find my name there - added support for codelite ;)
i.e. in cmake 3.0 you will be able to use codelite as generator in cmake
Fox Mulder wrote:Im also looking forward for the new CodeLite 6 release (Can you tell something about the release date )
The only thing that holds me from progressing codelite 6.0 release is the support for LLDB debugger (which took longer than I expected)
However, hopefully, I will complete my lldb debugger support this week so I can speedup things for codelite 6.0

Note that LLDB debugger will be supported for Linux (Ubuntu 13.10/14.04/Debian Wheezy and OSX)
For WIndows, LLDB has no support for native debugging... however, it could still be used for remote debugging

So, I believe it will be during April, but I don't have a fixed date - we are still waiting for 14.04 (ubuntu) release

Eran
petah
CodeLite Expert
IDE Question: c++

Post by petah »

awesome, looking forward to it! :D

-- p
main: Debian Jessie x64 + custom wxTrunk
Fox Mulder
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Fox Mulder »

Thanks for reply.
I know, if you look closely on the contributors for CMake 3 - you will find my name there
I actually noticed it but don't remember how old this contribution was - anyway Im very happy with that - now I will be able to generate the OpenCV lib for Codelite directly.
Btw. If you release it this month you don't break your tradition - since you mostly never needed more than 3 month for a revolution. :mrgreen:

For the LLDB debugger- if you read this http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTQwNzk it makes everything relative again.(article is 1 year old though).
I want to believe.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Fox Mulder wrote:For the LLDB debugger- if you read this http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTQwNzk it makes everything relative again.(article is 1 year old though).
Remote debugging will be enabled by codelite+lldb since I actually wrote my codelite-lldb server which does not need any GUI to and it can accept connections either over TCP or Unix Domain sockets

So remote debugging _is_ part of what I will offer with codelite.
I have been debugging with it for couple of weeks now, and it works excellent (in some cases, its even better than gdb...)

Eran