codeblocks

Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
caibbor
CodeLite Veteran
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: c++

codeblocks

Post by caibbor »

are you engaged in any code sharing with codeblocks? your projects are quite identical aside from a few specific features.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Re: codeblocks

Post by eranif »

caibbor wrote:are you engaged in any code sharing with codeblocks? your projects are quite identical aside from a few specific features.
Not really. Its a completely code base. There are much more than "aside from a few specific features"
- The debugger uses a different implementation - gdb exposes a more modern API named "MI - Machine Interface" this is what codelite uses (from day one) unlike codeblocks who uses the CLI mode (I think that they are changing that now or maybe they even already made the move)
- code completion - codelite uses a completely different code completion approach than codeblocks
- clang code completion, codelite has it while I am think that C::B does not (although someone started working on it, but never completed the work)
- Refactoring tools
- The project settings are completely different (codelite uses the Visual Studio model)
- Build system - codeblocks implemented their own build system, while codelite uses GNU makefiles
I can continue on and on...

Just because we are both using wxWidgets, does not mean that its the same project.
Its like saying that codelite & visual studio are the same

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
SlimFast
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by SlimFast »

caibbor wrote:are you engaged in any code sharing with codeblocks? your projects are quite identical aside from a few specific features.
I asked the same question some time ago. Eran seems rather selfish and doesn't really want to share (not meant offending, really).

I wish they had joined forces in the first place, cause there are still a lot features I am missing from C::B. I've compared both projects for myself and came to the following conclusions:
- Its not really easy to share components in general as the API is heavily different in many places. However, I believe some parts are shareable.
- The scripted build system and the scripted plugins of C::B are really powerful and there is nothing like that in CL.
- There is the possibility for customisations in the build system of C::B to include foreign files. C::B offers per file and per file type build customisations.
- C::B integrated third party languages like Fortran really nice.
- C::B also has integrated the MS debugger
- For the build system - the same project build way faster in C::B (using the same number of cores) which is nice for large scale projects.
- Also, as long as wxCrafter is not offered, the wxSmith stuff in C::B is way more intuitive to me.

Sure there is the same list for CL, otherwise we were not here, right? :-)

Therefore I am still using both - depending on whats easier for the particular project. From a users point of view thats really a pity, but thats how it is in the OpenSource world. Everyone wants to own reputation and doesn't look in risk mitigation and/or joining forces. So in OpenSource you see often the re-invention of the wheel 100 times due to that... not counting forks... :roll:

However, as long as nice projects are created such as C::B/CL its also a chance.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

SlimFast wrote:Also, as long as wxCrafter is not offered, the wxSmith stuff in C::B is way more intuitive to me.
This is about to change in the coming days
SlimFast wrote:Eran seems rather selfish and doesn't really want to share (not meant offending, really).
A bit harsh.. I code for fun. If it was not fun for me, I would not do it. I don't do it to improve the world ;)

PS:
FYI: codelite *did* started as an effort to improve codeblocks.. but no developer back than had the time to integrate it with me into codeblocks

See these posts on the C::B forums (dated back to Jan / Aug , 2006):
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/ ... 889.0.html
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/ ... 872.0.html

It did not end well, so I took off from there and created codelite
Eran
SlimFast
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by SlimFast »

...mmmh - reading this a second time it may sound a bite rude. Its really not mean like that, I am not a native speaker and maybe I am not getting the wording right. So to make very sure: I really appreciate all the work done with CL - no doubt at all. It a fantastic project!!!
SlimFast
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by SlimFast »

eranif wrote: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/ ... 889.0.html
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/ ... 872.0.html
It did not end well, so I took off from there and created codelite
Ah now that's interesting. But in the first thread this "mandrav" encouraged you to do. So what was the reason not to integrate it into C::B back then? I don't get it from these posts. For me they read as if they were looking for alternatives anyways and maybe even had too many ideas. :-) Well the CC in CL is un-comparable, for sure.
eranif wrote:
SlimFast wrote:Eran seems rather selfish and doesn't really want to share (not meant offending, really).
A bit harsh.. I code for fun. If it was not fun for me, I would not do it. I don't do it to improve the world ;)
And sorry again (our posts just crossed) - as I said: I wasn't meant that way. What I mean it what you said yourself in the other thread:
http://codelite.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... 1770#p7888
"You are assuming that if I would not create it, I would have worked with C::B or wxFB etc, but this is where you are wrong:
It either I do it for me, or non at all. So 0 resources are lost... I believe that this is true for many other open sources developers."
caibbor
CodeLite Veteran

Post by caibbor »

I have noticed codelite's debugger works quite a bit better than codeblocks. For one thing, I can never get "pause program" to work in CB but in CL it works just fine.

One thing I love about CB is that you can recursively add dirs/files to a project. With CL, you have to create virtual folders one at a time to match your source directory if you want it that way (unless I missed something)

I use both IDEs interchangeably for the same 20k+ line projects. In CL, I have different build settings for compiling with Clang and G++ just for the sake of getting the most compiler warnings. There are lots of quirks about CL (as well as CB) that I get annoyed with and just go back and forth. The only hastle is keeping build settings and project managers in sync.

I've only worked with wxWidgets for a few days now, but so far I find it very intuitive. Although it's not entirely clear what objects you have to manually free, like when adding children objects to parent objects (like a book or something) they seem to handle destruction on their own. This is sort of a digression from the topic, but I just have little experience with wx.

reinvention of the wheel isn't all bad. for one thing, coding in the FOSS world is usually done for fun as a major motivator.

I'm the kind of guy that wants one great tool that "does it all," but if I have to use 3 or 4 IDEs to get all the features I need/want, that's what I do.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

caibbor wrote:One thing I love about CB is that you can recursively add dirs/files to a project. With CL, you have to create virtual folders one at a time to match your source directory if you want it that way (unless I missed something)
Right click a project -> Import files from directory - it will do this for you.
In addition, in codelite 5.0 you also get the new Reconcile Project feature

Also, wxCrafter will be released in codelite 5.0

Eran
caibbor
CodeLite Veteran

Post by caibbor »

Now that I sit and think about it, the reason I found CL "way back when" was for a CB alternative. What really drove me to look for an alternative was the treatment I got when submitting a bug (this one in particular: http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?func= ... up_id=5358)

The problem I had there was that my bug was declared as "invalid" for invalid reasons. heh. More than that, a crash bug is not something you should just over-look.
caibbor
CodeLite Veteran

Post by caibbor »

eranif wrote:
caibbor wrote:One thing I love about CB is that you can recursively add dirs/files to a project. With CL, you have to create virtual folders one at a time to match your source directory if you want it that way (unless I missed something)
Right click a project -> Import files from directory - it will do this for you.
In addition, in codelite 5.0 you also get the new Reconcile Project feature

Also, wxCrafter will be released in codelite 5.0

Eran
very nice. I used wxFormBuilder to create the dialog for the first plugin I posted for CL. After a bit of using it, I realized how very liimited the options were. after exporting a form to .cpp/.h from there, I just edited the files manually and ignored wxFormBuilder from that point. Had to.