Custom Build Behaviour

Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
jansic
CodeLite Curious

Custom Build Behaviour

Post by jansic »

I find custom build very useful and a reason to use the IDE in its own right; but it's not quite as flexible as it could be. Here are some suggestions and a couple of issues.

Custom Build:

- When there are multiple projects in the workspace with custom build targets of the same name, the "right click project -> Custom Build Targets -> custom item" functionality always seems to run the targets from the ACTIVE project, not the one you actually clicked on.

- The "Project Settings -> General" tab has "Output File" and "intermediate Directory" disabled in custom build mode. Both of these values would make good $(xxx) parameters for use in the custom build setup, it'd be nice to be able to still change them.

- "Prebuild" and "Postbuild" tabs are disabled in custom build mode. There's no reason why you'd not want to perform configuration specific actions on either side of your custom build step. For example - I would like to copy my compiled files to a remote target in the "Postbuild" step. You could put the little checkboxes in the corner like on the Compiler and Linker tabs.

Configuration:

- Build configuration selection gets confused. I'm not entirely sure how to reproduce but combinations of changing "Project Settings->Configuration type", "Workspace Configuration" and the "Selected Configuration" dropdown seems to get the actual configuration out of sync with the displayed configuration.

Debugging:

- When debugging a remote target that's not listening gdb returns 'Connection Refused' but Codelite stays in debug mode. It'd be nice if this automatically exited debug mode so that you could start again easily.

- Optional "kill target on exit" in debugger settings. This would send a 'kill' to the debuggee when forcing exiting from debug mode through the Debug->Stop Debugger menu. The reason for this is that if you stop debugging a remote target and forget to send it a 'kill' manually you have to go through a start debug-kill-stop debug cycle to free up the target machine again.

Editor/GUI:

- Closing the last file in the editor collapses the entire workspace - very annoying.

- Selecting file in the editor tracks it in the workspace tree. It sounds cool but it's quite annoying with huge file lists - it'd be nice if it was an editor option.

- Make bracket matching optional. On my slower dev machine passing over a bracket with the cursor causes a 1-2 second pause while it finds the other end and does the highlight.

I'm not being picky, just pointing out what I'd like :)

Regards,
Jansic
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: Custom Build Behaviour

Post by eranif »

Hi,
In general, I prefer that all bugs/feature request are reported at SF site.
See below my comments:
jansic wrote:- When there are multiple projects in the workspace with custom build targets of the same name, the "right click project -> Custom Build Targets -> custom item" functionality always seems to run the targets from the ACTIVE project, not the one you actually clicked on.
This is a regression bug, and I will fix it, EDIT: This bug is now fixed in SVN
jansic wrote:- The "Project Settings -> General" tab has "Output File" and "intermediate Directory" disabled in custom build mode. Both of these values would make good $(xxx) parameters for use in the custom build setup, it'd be nice to be able to still change them.
jansic wrote:- "Prebuild" and "Postbuild" tabs are disabled in custom build mode. There's no reason why you'd not want to perform configuration specific actions on either side of your custom build step. For example - I would like to copy my compiled files to a remote target in the "Postbuild" step. You could put the little checkboxes in the corner like on the Compiler and Linker tabs.
Please submit a feature requests for the above quotes
jansic wrote:- Build configuration selection gets confused. I'm not entirely sure how to reproduce but combinations of changing "Project Settings->Configuration type", "Workspace Configuration" and the "Selected Configuration" dropdown seems to get the actual configuration out of sync with the displayed configuration.
ofc, since I never experienced it, I will need a step-by-step details of how to reproduce it, once you have it, submit a bug at SF
jansic wrote:- When debugging a remote target that's not listening gdb returns 'Connection Refused' but Codelite stays in debug mode. It'd be nice if this automatically exited debug mode so that you could start again easily.
We can debate whether this is a feature or bug, anyways, submit a bug report for this as well.
jansic wrote: - Closing the last file in the editor collapses the entire workspace - very annoying.

- Selecting file in the editor tracks it in the workspace tree. It sounds cool but it's quite annoying with huge file lists - it'd be nice if it was an editor option.
At the bottom of the workspace file view, there are 2 buttons: one looks like (+) and other as hyperlink -> unpress this button
This will break the 'link to editor' functionality, which does the following:
- synchronizes between the editor and the tree
- collapses tree on last file closure
jansic wrote:- Make bracket matching optional. On my slower dev machine passing over a bracket with the cursor causes a 1-2 second pause while it finds the other end and does the highlight.
Like the others, please make it a feature reuqest

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: Custom Build Behaviour

Post by eranif »

jansic wrote:Configuration:

- Build configuration selection gets confused. I'm not entirely sure how to reproduce but combinations of changing "Project Settings->Configuration type", "Workspace Configuration" and the "Selected Configuration" dropdown seems to get the actual configuration out of sync with the displayed configuration.
I just committed a fix to SVN that fixes the following bug:

- create a workspace
- add project (and adjust the configuration manager)
- now add second project (either from wizard or workspace -> new project)
once the project is added, codelite, accidentally marked both workspace configurations as active, this causes a confusion.

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread