Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
jansic
CodeLite Curious

Multiple Debuggers

Post by jansic »

From the bug tracker:
"
Comment By: Eran Ifrah (eranif)
Currently there is only one plugin available: gdb.
"

Okay, I understand this now, however it doesn't help me achieve what I need:

I have several different build configurations that target a range of embedded CPUs. All of my targets use a gdb compliant debugger customised for that chip, but the CodeLite gdb debugger plugin only takes one path.

To target, say, my ARM9 CPU I switch my build configuration to "Debug ARM 9", but I must also change the "Debugger Path" from /usr/bin/gdb to /opt/arm/bin/arm-linux-gdb. Similarly if I then switch to "Debug PPC", I need to change the path again to /opt/ppc/bin/ppc-ebd-gdb

I was hoping when I picked up CodeLite that I'd get to set a gdb debugger per configuration, which would be ideal for what I do.

As an aside, if you're in "Project Settings|Custom Build" and change the configuration type dropdown, it keeps appending targets & commands to the custom build list.

Regards,
Jansic.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: Multiple Debuggers

Post by eranif »

jansic wrote:I have several different build configurations that target a range of embedded CPUs. All of my targets use a gdb compliant debugger customised for that chip, but the CodeLite gdb debugger plugin only takes one path.
Ok, so it looks like I should move the path to be per configuration
jansic wrote:I was hoping when I picked up CodeLite that I'd get to set a gdb debugger per configuration, which would be ideal for what I do.
Stay tune, this will be implemented soon
jansic wrote:As an aside, if you're in "Project Settings|Custom Build" and change the configuration type dropdown, it keeps appending targets & commands to the custom build list
Thanks for reporting this. This build I re-designed that page (the 'Custom Build') to support N targets. Looks like a spot that I missed, but this is no show-stopper, since you can simply dont use that drop down button - again I will fix this as well.

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Ok, here is a quick update:

- The 'append bug' is now fixed (in SVN trunk)

- I added new option to select debugger path per project configuration. If left empty the default global is used - this should fix your problem.

If you need a binary ASAP and cant wait for the next release nor you can not build from SVN, contact me and I will upload you a binary (I can upload for Ubuntu32/64 or Windows installer)

Eran
jansic
CodeLite Curious

Post by jansic »

Thankyou very much, that's a surprisingly quick turnaround!

A binary isn't urgent and I might find more issues before the next release. :)

Jansic
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

jansic wrote:A binary isn't urgent and I might find more issues before the next release
I did mean to release this as the next release - but only upload it so you can try it, a new release will be available in a week or two (the usual interval between releases is 2-3 weeks)

Eran