Two problems with editor

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
garfield
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: c++

Two problems with editor

Post by garfield »

1. I have trouble mouse-moving selected text.Its unreliable - some time it works, some time it does not - it does nothing , the text selection is not moved/copied. (In general it seams if I hooold and sloooowly move the mouse Its a bit more reliable; trying fast moving the selected text does not work at all)

2. Toggle All folds is also unreliable. Mainly on fresh open files, when the cursor is at its default position, it basically never works. I have to click a couple of times around the text and try again to make it work.

Using windows version of CodeLite

MihailNaydenov

P.S Now testing it again. Toggle All fold works only if the caret is placed on the same line or after the first '{' !
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Re: Two problems with editor

Post by eranif »

garfield wrote:Toggle All fold works only if the caret is placed on the same line or after the first '{' !
I think that this is the way it was meant to work
garfield wrote:1. I have trouble mouse-moving selected text.Its unreliable - some time it works, some time it does not - it does nothing , the text selection is not moved/copied. (In general it seams if I hooold and sloooowly move the mouse Its a bit more reliable; trying fast moving the selected text does not work at all)
Its working, but indeed once the text is selected you need to give it a 1/2 second before starting dragging it, I will see why it is behaving this way (its a built in functionality of wxScintilla)

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
garfield
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by garfield »

eranif wrote:
garfield wrote:Toggle All fold works only if the caret is placed on the same line or after the first '{' !
I think that this is the way it was meant to work

Eran

The behavior does not make any sense at all. Toggle All folds is global file operation that does not and should not need any user interaction.
(In contrast to Toggle Current Fold, where "current" is the fold where the caret is)

MihailNaydenov
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Post by DavidGH »

Toggle All fold works only if the caret is placed on the same line or after the first '{' !
Yes. I implemented it like that because:
  • 1) It was slightly easier.
    2) Because of the word 'Toggle'. I took this to mean "If the cursor is at a closed fold, then Open All; if at an open fold, then Close All". Now suppose the cursor is at the top of a file, and you click 'Toggle All folds'. What should CL do: open all folds or close them all? So instead I told it to do nothing.
It shouldn't be too much trouble to press PageDown once or twice ;) . But if there's massive user demand for a different behaviour...

Regards,

David
garfield
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by garfield »

Humm, Humm for me doing the right thing is vary important, especially when comes to little things, these should just work without even thinking about them.
Too bad am no wxWidgets developer, I could have tired fixing it myself :(

And dont expect much demand...except some bug reports in the future...People will just use it (CL) and make no complains about it...much like they use C::B for years.
This however will not help CL grow. Exactly little nagging things keep users switching IDEs for years. They (the IDEs) *just* *lack* *polish*. Thats all. Robustness for the tasks of the day. And that is why "VS is the best IDE" - its polished. It really is. It might not be the best *editor*, it lacks many "power tools", but its the best "all around" tool...

<sigh>, I have a thing about IDEs for c/c++. The fact that a proprietary IDE is the standard, even for crossplatform projects, is killing me...

As I said, Im really sorry I cant fix this myself. (Without months and months of learning). It would have bean pretty high in my list of priorities.
Anyways, I understand, that the core developer (you) might have bigger battles to fight, I respect that.
MihailNaydenov
frank_frl
CodeLite Expert

Post by frank_frl »

garfield wrote:The behavior does not make any sense at all. Toggle All folds is global file operation that does not and should not need any user interaction.
(In contrast to Toggle Current Fold, where "current" is the fold where the caret is)
So what should global 'toggle' do? Close all opened foldings and open all closed foldings :(
What sense does that make?
garfield wrote: And that is why "VS is the best IDE" - its polished.
I used VS since the first version for my work and moved about 2 years ago to CL. Now when I have do do some work on old VC projects, it's for me like back to hell. I feel kind of handicapped in comparison with CL even though I have VisualAssist installed. VC might be good for NET and c#, but for C++ I don't like it at all.

Frank
garfield
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by garfield »

frank_frl wrote: So what should global 'toggle' do? Close all opened foldings and open all closed foldings :(
What sense does that make?
Well...it does not matter. The point is to get all folds in the same state. If the user is unhappy, he will trigger it again and gain the result for sure. Of course CL could try to be smart and scan all folds - if more are closed - open all, if more are open - close all - this is the toggle part. The current way is confusing because the action by no means implies the user will have to do something to make it work or change what it does.
If adding some automatic way still confusing, remove toggle all, revert to the classic open all close all and be done with it.
BTW I use it mainly to collapse a freshly open file (and I miss C::B's collapse on file open option).

frank_frl wrote: ...
I used VS since the first version for my work and moved about 2 years ago to CL. Now when I have do do some work on old VC projects, it's for me like back to hell. I feel kind of handicapped in comparison with CL even though I have VisualAssist installed. VC might be good for NET and c#, but for C++ I don't like it at all.
Frank
Well, Im happy for you, I really am. Still, I hope you see where CL lacks (mainly on polish/robustness) and report or even do something about it. Because free software tends to be used, well... with empathy...and *patience*. "Things will improve over time"..."yes, someone will see and fix this" ... "Its ok to have some issues.Its free, and thats cool!". Buts thats not what a project needs. It needs *at least* feedback. The same feedback corporations get from QA, and later from angry costumers.

MihailNaydenov
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Post by eranif »

garfield,
You complained that some feature are missing and you misses them. How can one guess what you misses if you don't report them? (and NO, starting a thread in the forum, is not considered as a bug report - you should open them at sourceforge.net)

And when the time is come, the bugs will get fixed - I think that after almost 4 years, this project has only 32 open bugs, so I can safely say that I am closing bugs - so dont hesitate - open them.

I can not miss nor fix what is not reported and things I did know even exists

You said that it will take you months of learning, but reporting an issues takes only a few minutes. Helping an open source product does not mean only coding, there are other areas like:

- Documenting - from user experience, writing down tutorials etc
- Reporting every little annoyance you encounter in the bug tracker

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
garfield
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by garfield »

Actually I tried the rule "when in doubt - report". But my bugs ware closed with either "not a bug, its a feature" or "would not fix", so Im trying to get comments first, than report. For me its MUCH easer to just report, much much easier. But "closed" bugs/request are not cool for me, and I try to be on the safe side.

MihailNaydenov

P.S. Feature request is submitted
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Post by DavidGH »

So what should global 'toggle' do? Close all opened foldings and open all closed foldings

Well...it does not matter. The point is to get all folds in the same state.
It sounds as if, rather than altering "Toggle", you'd actually prefer additional "Close all folds" and (presumably) "Open all folds" menu items. If so, they'd be easy to implement.

Do other people want these? Eran, would 2 extra items in the 'View' menu be acceptable?