Export makefile for workspace

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
cgp1024
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: c++

Export makefile for workspace

Post by cgp1024 »

I've seen that there's an export makefile for a project, but if my workspace contains multiple projects,
- Can I export the makefile for the workspace that will call the project makefiles (as well as in the build order)
- or alternatively, can I trigger a compile as a commandline option, like codelite a.workspace -c release -t rebuild or something like that?
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Re: Export makefile for workspace

Post by eranif »

cgp1024 wrote:- Can I export the makefile for the workspace that will call the project makefiles (as well as in the build order)
If you want all the project in your workspace to built with a single click -> you need to "link" them. to link projects, just right click on the "first" project and choose 'build order', and click all the projects you want to link to this project and their order.
Now, when exporting the makefile for that project, codelite will generate all the linked projects' makefiles as well

You can also create a dummy project which only specifies to the other projects build order and then export that project makefile
cgp1024 wrote:- or alternatively, can I trigger a compile as a commandline option, like codelite a.workspace -c release -t rebuild or something like that?
This issues was discussed several time before, but since codelite relies on wxWidgets, codelite can not be used from a non-gui window ( you have to have DISPLAY set) - this restriction is only for Linux atm - so I dropped the idea for the moment.

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
cgp1024
CodeLite Curious
IDE Question: c++

Post by cgp1024 »

I should have experimented more-- I had set up the build order, and It does export the makefiles for the other projects,
but I incorrectly assumed that it didn't generate those other makefiles, because it did it so fast.

I noticed that it also generated a xxx_wsp.mk that builds all of the other projects in the build order specified.

What a nice program!
This issues was discussed several time before, but since codelite relies on wxWidgets, codelite can not be used from a non-gui window ( you have to have DISPLAY set) - this restriction is only for Linux atm - so I dropped the idea for the moment.
I think slickedit and visual studio handle this by having a separate executable that handles building.. (vsbuild, msbuild, etc). Is the makefile generation tied to wxWidgets as well?
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Post by eranif »

cgp1024 wrote:I think slickedit and visual studio handle this by having a separate executable that handles building.. (vsbuild, msbuild, etc). Is the makefile generation tied to wxWidgets as well?
Yes, it uses various classes from wxWidgets (wxXmlDocument, wxString, wxEvent and others) which requires DISPLAY (dont know really why, but...)
it can be a worth thinking idea of separating the 'makefile' generation command into a separate tool which reads codelite's workspace + project and execute the make command required

Please open a FR for this at sourceforge
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread